macOS Mojave (10.14) Compatibility

49 minutes ago, Andrew Pollock said:

I'm running an iMac Pro 64 gigs RAM with the pro vega 64. It better not be the GPU card. As a sole practitioner, I need to be able to keep multiple programs open at the same time as I jump between many apps. Your suggestion doesn't make sense nor should a software require more then the top of the line machine.

My post was May 24th. Have your balls been spinning ever since?

Well, then there really is no hope. Top of the line Mac and all is still not good for you. We should really give up all hope. 

Thanks for saving me 4 grand on a new Mac meanwhile. I honestly thought that would be the answer. 

Edited by SVA Architects

My balls never stop spinning, its what gets me up in the morning.

The best thing about the iMac pro is that I can jump between so many apps without a performance hit. This spinning ball in VW was  new when I upgraded to Mojave. Frustrating but not a deal breaker at this point. The funny thing about VW is I understand it, many of the processes are still single core CPU. Therefor the New iMac would be a better value then a iMac Pro since it has better single core speeds and its less $$$$

• Like 2
On 6/28/2019 at 8:08 AM, Andrew Pollock said:

The funny thing about VW is I understand it, many of the processes are still single core CPU. Therefor the New iMac would be a better value then a iMac Pro since it has better single core speeds and its less $$$$

100% accurate on both points. Meanwhile, Apple keeps sticking higher core/lower base clock speed in their laptops... 🤬

However, the good news is:

• VW is always rewriting the legacy code that's a huge culprit of causing that SBBOD (particularly single core operations)
    • They can't finish fast enough as that's priority #1 to all of us here
  • VW19 increased many of the previous single-core operations to 4 cores, and that limit is expected anticipated hoped to increase to 8 cores (or more) in VW20
    • We're due for some Teaser Tuesdays soon
  • The imminent 16" MacBook Pro should have better guts (including thermals) as we exit the dark days of the Jony Ive thin & light (form over function) era
    • Fingers crossed for Threadripper when the Intel contract expires

I experienced the same lagginess when I tried VW19 SP3.1 on Mojave 10.14.5 with the same config iMac Pro you have, and rolled back to HS 10.13.6. Hopefully that improved in SP4 because SP5 will probably be the final version of VW19 (notwithstanding any minor point upgrades for Catalina compatibility), and 10.14.6 will be the final version of Mojave, so we're running out of runway... 

Not for nothing but Mojave just seems/feels like a half-baked transitional release. Catalina looks like the Snow Leopard/iOS 12/"s" for speed/stability version but will undoubtedly take the usual six months to become stable, meanwhile wreaking havoc on VW until it is.

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Andrew Pollock said:

The best thing about the iMac pro is that I can jump between so many apps without a performance hit. This spinning ball in VW was  new when I upgraded to Mojave. Frustrating but not a deal breaker at this point. The funny thing about VW is I understand it, many of the processes are still single core CPU. Therefor the New iMac would be a better value then a iMac Pro since it has better single core speeds and its less $$$$

Good call. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 9:43 AM, SVA Architects said:

MAC compatibility ‘coming soon’. 

New 3Dconnexion driver adds support for CadMouse Pro Wireless (assuming the left-handed version as well):

https://www.3dconnexion.com/service/drivers.html

Version 10.6.3 (July 12, 2019). Fourth public release of version 10.6.

• Updated: 3DxMacCore v. 1.1.2 (b106, 3deb50e; Jul 12, 2019).
  • Fix: [MAC-112] Problems installing 3DxWare 10 on macOS 10.14.5 on some machines.
  • Note: Hot-fix release to address MAC-112.

Version 10.6.2 (June 28, 2019). Third public release of version 10.8.

• Updated: 3DxMacCore v. 1.1.1 (b95, 280bb1e; Jun 28, 2019).
  • Updated: 3DxMaya v. 4.6.0 (r15781; Jan 23, 2019).
  • Updated: 3DxNLServer v. 1.3.3 (r16341; Jun 28, 2019).
  • Updated: 3DxPair v. 2.3.3 (r16242; May 18).
  • Updated: 3DxSketchUp v. 5.0.0 (r16196; May 15, 2019).
  • New: Added “CadMouse Pro Wireless” device support.
  • New: [MAC-90] Add support for version 2019 of Autodesk Maya.
  • Fix: [MAC-68] Wrong axis motion.
  • Fix: [MAC-87] Remove NL .config files on driver installation. This fixes the issue causing
  • the auto center of rotation (I3DN feature) defaulting to off in applications such as
  • Onshape.
  • Fix: [MAC-96] 3DxNLServer crashes on QuickZoom In/Out.
  • Fix: [MAC-110] Mouse cursor jumps to left-bottom when starting 3DxNumPad.

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • 4 weeks later...

With the release of VW 2020 and Mac OS Catalina just around the corner I hope very much that the story of VW 2019 and Mac OS Mojave does not occur again. I hope that VW 2020 and Mac OS Catalina have a friendly relationship from the start. It would be awesome to update directly to Mac OS Catalina when it comes out and not have to delay the update because of Vectorworks! 🙏🙏🙏🙏

• Like 2

Dream on...   : )

they will tell you a half a year: "don't update...  bla bla bla not supporting... bla...

vw 2019 has even 32 bit engines wich won't work for catalina...   how retro is that? 

mojave often tells me: some components of VW are not compatible in the future.

here we only can pray to whatever, that VW finally does his homework...

i have no hope anymore.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, martinfdc said:

I hope that VW 2020 and Mac OS Catalina

So far, the results are much better than last year. You can follow up the latest about Catalina and Vectorworks here: 

We are waiting for macOS Catalina 10.15 Beta 6 release to provide you with more updates. Stay tuned!

• Like 2

VW2019 is 64 bit except for two components:

/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/bin/python3.5-32

/Contents/Frameworks/AFDP.bin

Python shouldn't be that hard. Not sure what AFDP is, however.

Vectorworks Plants is a Filemaker db and is 64 bit except for:

/Contents/Frameworks/libxerces-c-3.0.dylib

/Contents/Frameworks/libxalan-c.111.0.dylib

/Contents/Frameworks/libxalanMsg.111.0.dylib

That's not insurmountable, especially in an annual release. Pretty much all professional-grade apps I use (e.g. ProTools HD, parts of the Adobe Suite) throw this error as well. A lot of developers will have to clean out the 32-bit dependencies for Catalina support. I expect to see this resolved for most companies by Catalina's release. There will be some that drag on (Avid is often 6-12 months behind in officially supporting Apple releases). 

To find out what apps are not Catalina ready on your machine, you can use Go64: https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/index.html

Edited by JohnAthayde
adding Go64 info
  • Like 1
On 6/28/2019 at 4:08 PM, Andrew Pollock said:

Good call. 

I reluctantly cancelled my annual subscription renewal last month. When I see on this forum that 2020 is working with Catalina or whatever version combination of either I may resubscribe. I know it costs more to jump a couple of years before upgrading but maybe things will work out at some point. I have grown to find beachballs somewhat hypnotic and reassuring...like an old car that misfires at the same point after it warms up every day. 

Edited by SVA Architects
2 hours ago, martinfdc said:

With the release of VW 2020 and Mac OS Catalina just around the corner I hope very much that the story of VW 2019 and Mac OS Mojave does not occur again. I hope that VW 2020 and Mac OS Catalina have a friendly relationship from the start. It would be awesome to update directly to Mac OS Catalina when it comes out and not have to delay the update because of Vectorworks! 🙏🙏🙏🙏

At this point, I update macOS one year/OS behind, and I have no issues with VW or other software computability. iOS is a different story because it's locked down. Same with every other Apple OS. But macOS is beta until they abandon it for the next version. It's all relative, so I'm a happy camper with full 32-bit compatibility, and no complaints. See y'all in a year!

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I use my mac not only as a system for my cad software but the whole system with its wonderful possibilities for layouting and interaction with other devices.
How can the seller of software afford to deny me this access with such an incredibly long waiting period?
Should I buy two macs? One with a current operating system and the other with an operating system that is as outdated as possible.
Because the bad mac programmers have so incredibly stupid new ideas?

Maybe I'm expecting too much from a quite cost-intensive software. But I imagine that if this software is offered as running on a mac, it should also run on a mac. I am conservative on this point.
The annual refreshment of Mac OS hasn't only been done since last year. Increase your team of programmers if it doesn't work like this.

VW 2019 on Catalina is my last test - if I have to wait another year here or have to buy 2020, then I say vectorworks good bye

12 hours ago, hh_berlin said:

Unfortunately I use my mac not only as a system for my cad software but the whole system with its wonderful possibilities for layouting and interaction with other devices.
How can the seller of software afford to deny me this access with such an incredibly long waiting period?
Should I buy two macs? One with a current operating system and the other with an operating system that is as outdated as possible.
Because the bad mac programmers have so incredibly stupid new ideas?

Maybe I'm expecting too much from a quite cost-intensive software. But I imagine that if this software is offered as running on a mac, it should also run on a mac. I am conservative on this point.
The annual refreshment of Mac OS hasn't only been done since last year. Increase your team of programmers if it doesn't work like this.

VW 2019 on Catalina is my last test - if I have to wait another year here or have to buy 2020, then I say vectorworks good bye

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Asemblance said:

@Mark Aceto it is very frustrating. I have to use a Mac since it is provided by our office, but a better solution if you are in control of your own hardware is to just buy a Windows PC.. At least part of the fault here lies with Apple.

To be clear, most - if not all - of the fault cause here lies with Apple. VW 2019 SP 5.1 is smooth as butter on macOS 10.14.6 SU 2. Meanwhile the betas of Catalina (and iOS 13) are tracking a legendary level of bugs, so anyone rolling the dice with a .0 release should expect nothing but trouble.

Keep in mind there will not be a VW 2019 SP 6 or a macOS 10.14.7, so this is as good as it gets (every year at this time). That's also a major milestone for an OS that's about to end 32-bit support (unrelated to VW). The next 3-6 months are a wonderful time to take advantage of this stability (instead of intentionally choosing frustration). It's also a great time to play with the new version of VW but there's not a single colleague, vendor, designer or anyone I work with that will use the new version for a paid project until sometime around December (SP 2.1 was solid last year). If VW could improve one thing, it would be closing the 4-5 month gap between SP 2 and SP 3 every year with more of those point updates (SP 2.2, 2.3... ).

The other thing to keep in mind is that Cook's Apple prioritizes selling subscriptions over performance: power, speed, stability, ports, thermal management... Most of the Mojave updates (and Catalina upgrade) have been and continue to be focused on adding services: News, TV+, Arcade, MasterCard...

And, yeah, Windows is definitely the safe bet every September when Apple drops their half-baked OS on third party developers and peripheral manufacturers, and they scramble to reverse engineer a game of Whac-A-Mole in real time to figure out how Apple broke their sh!t. I mean it took 3Dconnexion nearly 2 years to solve the unplug USB mouse on restart issue introduced in High Sierra. Even 1Password has issues with each subsequent release. Then there was the 10.14.4 keychain bug that hosed everyone's Google accounts... 

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

To be clear, most - if not all - of the fault cause here lies with Apple. VW 2019 SP 5.1 is smooth as butter on macOS 10.14.6 SU 2. Meanwhile the betas of Catalina (and iOS 13) are tracking a legendary level of bugs, so anyone rolling the dice with a .0 release should expect nothing but trouble.

Keep in mind there will not be a VW 2019 SP 6 or a macOS 10.14.7, so this is as good as it gets (every year at this time). That's also a major milestone for an OS that's about to end 32-bit support (unrelated to VW). The next 3-6 months are a wonderful time to take advantage of this stability (instead of intentionally choosing frustration). It's also a great time to play with the new version of VW but there's not a single colleague, vendor, designer or anyone I work with that will use the new version for a paid project until sometime around December (SP 2.1 was solid last year). If VW could improve one thing, it would be closing the 4-5 month gap between SP 2 and SP 3 every year with more of those point updates (SP 2.2, 2.3... ).

The other thing to keep in mind is that Cook's Apple prioritizes selling subscriptions over performance: power, speed, stability, ports, thermal management... Most of the Mojave updates (and Catalina upgrade) have been and continue to be focused on adding services: News, TV+, Arcade, MasterCard...

And, yeah, Windows is definitely the safe bet every September when Apple drops their half-baked OS on third party developers and peripheral manufacturers, and they scramble to reverse engineer a game of Whac-A-Mole in real time to figure out what, and how Apple, broke their sh!t.

Well. I’ve never had software requiring such a lengthy beta. Is there not a developer period to correct bugs? And wasn’t 64k known for quite awhile? One more thing: what about OpenGL / Metal?

On 9/2/2019 at 4:11 PM, Allen Brown said:

Well. I’ve never had software requiring such a lengthy beta. Is there not a developer period to correct bugs? And wasn’t 64k known for quite awhile? One more thing: what about OpenGL / Metal?

In a perfect world, maybe? In the real world, not a chance. Nothing would ever ship. Apple just released the 2nd supplemental update to the final point update of Mojave last week. They're still fixing bugs.

Also, a lot of people don't realize that Apple doesn't include all the new features (and bugs) in the betas. So VW and every other third party developer have to wait for the gold master. But the GM and .0 release still won't have all the new features (and bugs). That's increasingly common with the time constraint of the annual upgrade cycle.

BTW great question about Metal. With the news this summer that Cinema and RedShift (both owned by Maxon which is owned by Nemetschek) are going all-in on Metal, we're due for an update on OpenGL's replacement. What's the the latest, @JuanP?

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 11:58 PM, Mark Aceto said:

And, yeah, Windows is definitely the safe bet every September when Apple drops their half-baked OS on third party developers and peripheral manufacturers, and they scramble to reverse engineer a game of Whac-A-Mole in real time to figure out how Apple broke their sh!t. I mean it took 3Dconnexion nearly 2 years to solve the unplug USB mouse on restart issue introduced in High Sierra. Even 1Password has issues with each subsequent release. Then there was the 10.14.4 keychain bug that hosed everyone's Google accounts... 

So having read most of the posts now on this subject - what most are saying amounts to the fact that a Service Select subscription is a bad idea for Mac users.  Having paid for another year, the temptation is to download the latest version of Vectorworks right away.  The advice seems to be not to do so but rather to wait until it works well with the latest version of OSX (which based on 2019 and Mojave takes almost one year.)  Otherwise we are paying for an upgrade which is not yet compatible with the Mac OS of a similar period of time.  Having chosen this year not to renew Service Select I am looking longingly at the email links VW have sent me extolling the virtues of VW 2020.  However does it work with Mojave as well as the latest version of VW 2019?  How long will it be before either work with Catalina?

Edited by SVA Architects

@SVA Architects Take a look at Christiaans post here: 

11 hours ago, Christiaan said:

Put it this way, I converted a couple of important projects during beta testing and I have the whole office running SP0 today with all current projects converted to 2020.

There'll be some glitches that I haven't come across of course but I've been hitting deadlines without 2020 ever getting in the way.

P.S. on top of that I'm running macOS 10.15 beta