macOS Mojave (10.14) Compatibility

3 hours ago, Jim Wilson said:

I've been getting this for a lot of apps on Mojave, it's them warning about future macOS versions. It does not affect Mojave compatibility at all and it's only detecting some remaining bits of installers and plugins for us.

When d'you expect VWX will be entirely 64 bit compliant Jim?

i have only one issue, and have been using VW2019 since the day it came out and mojave since the day after it came out.  i know, bleeding edge and all.

if i have the object info palette open and [shape] button clicked, and select ANY object with any complex info, door, window, etc, i get a rainbow wheel for about 90sec.  if have the [data] or [render] button clicked, no issues whatsoever.  but if i need to adjust anything and click the [shape] option, it all comes to a halt.  clearly not as bad as some of you, but none the less annoying.  and NO FIX whatsoever with mojave.2, mojave.3, VW SP1, or SP2.  

to add insult to injury, my partner sitting next to me with a slightly newer MacBook pro has had ZERO issues since day1 with the same setup.  

any ideas welcomed.

I've had very good results by doing a full uninstall of my original installation of 2019 including ALL preferences and reinstalling from the 

downloadable sp2 installer... obviously if you are a person with heavy workspace customization, this would not be convenient.

I've been holding off on any serious customization until after everything seems to stabilize...

I still get an occasional spinning wheel, but just for a few seconds..  never perma-lock requiring force quit..  YMMV

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, brentf said:

i have only one issue, and have been using VW2019 since the day it came out and mojave since the day after it came out.  i know, bleeding edge and all.

if i have the object info palette open and [shape] button clicked, and select ANY object with any complex info, door, window, etc, i get a rainbow wheel for about 90sec.  if have the [data] or [render] button clicked, no issues whatsoever.  but if i need to adjust anything and click the [shape] option, it all comes to a halt.  clearly not as bad as some of you, but none the less annoying.  and NO FIX whatsoever with mojave.2, mojave.3, VW SP1, or SP2.  

to add insult to injury, my partner sitting next to me with a slightly newer MacBook pro has had ZERO issues since day1 with the same setup.  

any ideas welcomed.

Have you tried turning off every other app - mail, preview, safari, photo, one drive, dropbox etc?  For me it reduced the spinning ball times. Mojave seems more CPU/ GPU/RAM hungry.  Yes it is a pain to reopen and close  other apps but at least you can some drawing done.  Is you partner’s Mac faster/more RAM/more graphics RAM?

Edited by SVA Architects

i restarted my computer, opened only VW and tried again.  drew 1 wall and added a door.  select door and rainbow wheel for 20+ sec.  my partner's MacBook is a few years newer but mine is a 2.5 i7 hers is a 2.6i7.  we both have 16GB ram and similar video cards.

12 minutes ago, brentf said:

i restarted my computer, opened only VW and tried again.  drew 1 wall and added a door.  select door and rainbow wheel for 20+ sec.  my partner's MacBook is a few years newer but mine is a 2.5 i7 hers is a 2.6i7.  we both have 16GB ram and similar video cards.

Reduced from 90 to 20 secs?  Similar to my experience.  I am still reviewing my options with hardware and CAD software for serious work as my ‘solution’ is only a way to get some work done temporarily. The long term solution rests with the software/hardware providers.  So far I have heard no real admission that there is a serious issue or timeframe to deal with Apple’s new direction with Metal over OpenGL.  There will be more technical rebuttals here but my view of Operating systems and productivity software is that they should quietly serve the brain in the background with few if any glitches not occupy the brain.  I am an architect not a programmer. That is why I chose Mac and Vectorworks years ago over windows and Autocad etc.  

Edited by SVA Architects

good points indeed.  i hate the notion of closing photoshop, sketchup, mail, safari, etc just to expedite delays!  i've been using VW since miniCAD6 and honestly this is the most frustrating.i'm in the process of a total uninstall and reinstall of 2019.  along the way i found and trashed remnants from VW 2015, 2016, 2017, & 2018, so hoping fingers crossed something in there helps until the engineers figure it out.  i always (used to?) brag that i use the mac and VW because "they just work"  

6 hours ago, michaelk said:

It creates fresh new VW user preferences and doesn't load system extensions.  Or whatever system extensions are called now. :-).  

In application, it helps VW ensure that the bug is in their software and not a conflict between multiple softwares, old versions, malformed preferences files, etc.

Your user folder has a hidden folder called "Library" where most of this is stored in either Application Support or in the newer construct of a "container". Over years these can build up and cause slow downs. A new user account doesn't load this stuff, so it's a quick way to narrow down potential causes. 

• Like 2

I updated to Mojave 10.14.3 and also got a Vectorworks 2019  Library update right after. Now when I open a project from 2 weeks ago the lighting is set very dark. When I need these display 3Ds in the future all the lights will need adjusting up and tested. I estimate it will be at least 1 (non-billable) hour each. Thank you Apple.

Also my 3Dconnection still doesn't work unless unplugged. But it does work with 10.14.3 after replug. Note the receiver only works when plugged into the iMac. I will not work plugged into my TSB 3 Docking Station where it's easy to get to.

Good news Mac OS 10.15 coming  Sept 19. They are looking for a name.

Running Vectorworks 2019 SP-2 (build 463397) iMac Pro (2017) 10 core, 64GB. OS 10.14.3 (18D109)

Edited by rjtiedeman
added system information