macOS Mojave (10.14) Compatibility

4 hours ago, rjtiedeman said:

I updated my drivers to the latest 3Dconnection drivers (10.6.1) it didn't help. The paring still fails on restart. I have plugged the receiver into every USB socket on the Imac Pro and also the connected to the USB3 ports on the Caldigit TS3Plus-US20-SG Thunderbolt 3 docking station. The problem is the same. However my 2010 Mac Pro USB-2 connection works fine. I was wondering if the problem is that the new USB 3 ports and the 3DConnection Universal Receiver has a problem with USB 3 ports in general.

I have even removed and re-installed the software twice after found that the 3Dconnection Helper was listed 3 times in login items/users & groups.  I have also been on the phone with 3Dconection tech 3 time on Friday with no solution. Since my new IMac Pro is only 1 week old I am going to call Apple tech support in the morning to see if they can shed some light on the (nuisance) problem since it is only on my new Imac not the old one.

As I said before, Mojave has put many developers in a ‘spin’. It is a ‘fundamentally’ different OS.  I desperately need a new Mac but dont want to downgrade the OS it will come with.  

Much as I hate MS Windows, I am trialling VW on an old i7/Quadro Dell Precision laptop I keep for certain Windows tasks. It takes ages to start up but once running at least it does not spin and crash. 

At this time I no longer know what else to do for the first time in 20 years. I would say the the Mojave/Mac situation is in crisis for CAD users. 

I hope someone at Apple is listening and working very hard.  Dell, HP and Autodesk must be feeling very happy right now and waiting for switchers to call. 

I started with Minicad over 20 years ago due to the Apple option. If I switch I may not stay with VW.  The stats show there still more VW Windows crashes than OSX ones.  I may be small fry but so are the other 50% of Apple VW users.  It all adds up. I will give it three more months...

Edited by SVA Architects
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, SVA Architects said:

As I said before, Mojave has put many developers in a ‘spin’. It is a ‘fundamentally’ different OS.

I don't think it goes that far.

The Bluetooth pairing may be a standard separate Bug, like those that appear more and more

with the current Apple QC.

The main problem with typical drivers is that Apple made the typical KEXT model obsolete

for security reasons. In the past anyone could and did write his "Kernel Extensions", throw

them in the KEXT folder and they will be loaded when booting.

That was a pretty easy way to make 3rd party hardware compatible for Mac but is quite risky

for security. Therefore KEXTs are depricated and Apple provides APIs for certain calls.

That means a need to rewrite, rebuild or even general more work for Drivers, formerly relying

on KEXTs, which means basically it is more tedious.

As there are special cases, like CarbonCopyCloner which needs very deep access to storage,

which will not be provided by Apples general APIs (for good reasons). Therefore, beside the

transitional period, KEXTs are still allowed for special cases, but the user/administrator itself

is now responsible and has to explicitely give them the deeper access rights.

But normally access of simple USB input devices is not such a special case.

Obviously developers are not easily willing to support the new driver model but prefer to do

little fixes to their KEXT drivers to make them run as long as possible.

So the main problem for the user with those current "Mojave ready" (still) KEXT Drivers is just

that some vendors drivers were not reliably bringing the warning dialogs to ask the user for

the special access rights. Which blocked parts of the drivers functionality.

Like in the case of 3DConnexion, where the latest driver update from 3 days ago mainly fixes

that all warning dialog for access rights will really appear.

7 hours ago, SVA Architects said:

Much as I hate MS Windows, I am trialling VW on an old i7/Quadro Dell Precision laptop I keep for certain Windows tasks. It takes ages to start up but once running at least it does not spin and crash. 

At this time I no longer know what else to do for the first time in 20 years. I would say the the Mojave/Mac situation is in crisis for CAD users. 

I hope someone at Apple is listening and working very hard.  Dell, HP and Autodesk must be feeling very happy right now and waiting for switchers to call. 

I started with Minicad over 20 years ago due to the Apple option. If I switch I may not stay with VW.  The stats show there still more VW Windows crashes than OSX ones.  I may be small fry but so are the other 50% of Apple VW users.  It all adds up. I will give it three more months...

Another solution is continue using High Sierra for the next few months. Apple isn't forcing anyone to upgrade.

3 hours ago, zoomer said:

I don't think it goes that far.

The Bluetooth pairing may be a standard separate Bug, like those that appear more and more

with the current Apple QC.

The main problem with typical drivers is that Apple made the typical KEXT model obsolete

for security reasons. In the past anyone could and did write his "Kernel Extensions", throw

them in the KEXT folder and they will be loaded when booting.

That was a pretty easy way to make 3rd party hardware compatible for Mac but is quite risky

for security. Therefore KEXTs are depricated and Apple provides APIs for certain calls.

That means a need to rewrite, rebuild or even general more work for Drivers, formerly relying

on KEXTs, which means basically it is more tedious.

As there are special cases, like CarbonCopyCloner which needs very deep access to storage,

which will not be provided by Apples general APIs (for good reasons). Therefore, beside the

transitional period, KEXTs are still allowed for special cases, but the user/administrator itself

is now responsible and has to explicitely give them the deeper access rights.

But normally access of simple USB input devices is not such a special case.

Obviously developers are not easily willing to support the new driver model but prefer to do

little fixes to their KEXT drivers to make them run as long as possible.

So the main problem for the user with those current "Mojave ready" (still) KEXT Drivers is just

that some vendors drivers were not reliably bringing the warning dialogs to ask the user for

the special access rights. Which blocked parts of the drivers functionality.

Like in the case of 3DConnexion, where the latest driver update from 3 days ago mainly fixes

I have a Logitech mouse which works fine with Mojave except the system preferences control for the mouse do not allow any adjustments to the Logitech features. Just works as a mouse. However it does not hve to be pulled for it to work like the 3Dconnection mouse. It may be firmware in the plug-in device itself. What we all need is for the tech companies to come out and  tell us they know the problem exists and we are working to fix it. Silence is not helping and we can’t fixit our self.

4 hours ago, zoomer said:

Having this issue on iMac Pro running High Sierra.

@Jim Wilson this topic is drifting from Mojave compatibility to 3Dconnexion compatibility. Could we move these recent posts to a new thread for "3Dconnexion Restart Bug" or something?

Not experiencing any issues as described on my MacPro6,1 (2013 cylinder) or 2013 MacBookPro with newest SP and Mojave. Happy to test a file if someone wants to see if we can narrow it down (sounds like it may be related to newer chipsets or the T2 chip itself in the newer machines).

Also running Intous pen tablets on both of them, but that shouldn't matter much. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SVA Architects said:

As I said before, Mojave has put many developers in a ‘spin’. It is a ‘fundamentally’ different OS.  I desperately need a new Mac but dont want to downgrade the OS it will come with.  

All of the 2017 Macs shipped with High Sierra, so you should be fine downgrading from Mojave to HS on those models. The maxed out 2017 iMac and the base 2017 iMac Pro are great options (and priced comparably). Also, check out Apple's refurbished site.

Edited by Mark Aceto

This is my existing 3Dconnexion status.  It is working fine for me, as you can see the update is asking me to download to the newest version.  I now fear, from comments on this forum, to go forward.  Anyone have any comments?  P.S.  I am using the mouse in usb connection mode rather than bluetooth if that may make a difference.

1950577114_Image1-16-19at2_38PM.thumb.jpg.cf20b267bab82f509a35f5981ed82c8a.jpg

Edited by Kingstone

10.14.3 was released today (along with updates to every other Apple device).

The combo update is not yet available but should be soon (for those running 10.14.2).

Tempted to try this out on one of my machines but also inclined to wait for VW2019 sp3.

Curious to hear if 10.14.3 fixes the issues that folks were experiencing with prior versions of Mojave.

Break a leg!

On 1/14/2019 at 8:48 AM, Mark Aceto said:

To be clear, this is a "recent Macs" issue; not a Mojave issue.

After installing Mac Security Update 2019-001 Version 10.13.6, I'm back to unplugging/plugging back in my 3Dconnexion CadMouse on my 2014 MBP following a restart.

So, at lease we have a lead inside the walled garden now... 

12 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

False alarm; mysteriously working fine again.

Same here,

after restarting, my old 3D Navigator only pushed the cursor like a mouse,

instead of scrolling or 3D Navigating.

First I thought the latest Driver Update a few days ago would have killed

support for legacy devices ...

But I think like Restarting for Windows, Repairing User Rights for Mac,

for 3DConnexion Devices the desired action is to plug their USB off and back on.

🙂

It made it work here too ....

• Like 1

I have found a way to get jobs out with Mojave and Vectorworks Architect.  Turn off all other apps, especially Onedrive, Mail, Photos, Preview that I used to dip in and out if for reference to current projects (client instructions, site photos, permit PDFs etc).  That way all CPU, RAM and Video is used exclusivley by the Finder and VW.  I have had no crashes or spinning balls for two days. Not a scientific study but it has worked for me for the first time in two months so worth a try for busy architects

Edited by SVA Architects
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, SVA Architects said:

I have found a way to get jobs out with Mojave and Vectorworks Architect.  Turn off all other apps, especially Onedrive, Mail, Photos, Preview that I used to dip in and out if for reference to current projects (client instructions, site photos, permit PDFs etc).  That way all CPU, RAM and Video is used exclusivley by the Finder and VW.  I have had no crashes or spinning balls for two days. Not a scientific study but it has worked for me for the first time in two months so worth a try for busy architects

There is a perfect way for no-distracion work session. Sure some demons in apple had worked about it.

Edited by Zeno

So with this possible work around can we assume that Apple and VW combined are more power hungry that both companies would like to admit? I know for a fact that also Safari has asked me to close some websites that are memory hungry in order for the CPU to run better. I intensely dislike Java for that, Steve Jobs was I bigger fan of HTML because of those power browser issues. Thank you Zeno for the heads up. I am loving the contributions and involvement of the users. 

• 2 weeks later...