macOS Mojave (10.14) Compatibility

2 hours ago, Michel S said:

Currently i am working in MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and VW 2018.

I want to upgrade to Mojave. Are there still problems when still using VW 2018?

I would say wait if VW is working OK on your current set up. I have lost so many hours of work so far on spinning balls and crashes.  Mojave should be renamed NoHave.  It is a fundamentally different environment and has caught several developers with their pants down. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Michel S said:

Currently i am working in MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and VW 2018.

I want to upgrade to Mojave. Are there still problems when still using VW 2018?

VW announced that SP6 is the final SP for VW18, so any issues with Mojave or otherwise (weird truss tool behavior) will never be fixed. All development has moved on to VW19 and beyond, so the safer bet would be to stay on HS, and update to VW19 (vs using legacy software on a buggy OS). Compared to years past, the big focus for VW19 was maintenance and stability (and hardware optimization). It's definitely stable enough to use now, and they've done an excellent job of squashing bugs with each SP.

Take the red pill.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Allen Brown said:

Spoke too soon, iMac Pro still having issues. May try a clean install..

Nada. I wonder if this has something to do with the Vega graphics issue which I thought was fixed? Creating, editing (or just selecting) some objects such as a wall triggers the spinning ball and requires a forced quit. Again this is the VW 2019 / Mojave / iMac Pro with Vega 64. The same file works fine on a 2014 MacBook Pro /VW 2019 / Mojave. And the same file exported to 2018 works fine on the iMac Pro. So it's something with 2019 and iMac Pro. Any others using one with VW 2019?

1 hour ago, Mark Aceto said:

No issues with iMac Pro, Vega 64, VW2019.2.1 on my end (Mac OS 10.13.6) so that might be a Mojave issue. My GPU barely gets tapped. Spinning beachball for me has always been a CPU constraint.

I've got the 3 GHz Intel Xeon. How much memory do you have? I went with 64 to try to prevent the this..

4 minutes ago, Allen Brown said:

How much memory do you have?

64 but it's overkill. Again, barely use half of it. I use Activity Monitor, iStat Menus and Intel Power Gadget to monitor CPU, GPU, RAM at all times (windows are permanently docked) and the only constraint ever is single core CPU.

Edited by Mark Aceto

I also have the 10-core, and 2019 is pretty great on HS. Obviously, subsequent SP's will only get better but I really only get the beach ball for single core CPU (or when I have to import a Rhino file).

I would encourage everyone to use Activity Monitor, iStat Menus and Intel Power Gadget to identify what's actually causing their respective issues. I'm fairly certain the base model iMac Pro that cost half as much as this one would be just as fast.

And I definitely wouldn't mess with Mojave until at least 10.14.3 (maybe even 10.14.4). The most compelling feature to me is dark mode, and that's not even available for VW, so... 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Allen Brown said:

I may have to downgrade (again), I thought after a couple of updates it would be safe. The thing that surprises me is that 2019 seems to work well in Mojave on my 2014 MacBook..

Well that's just adding insult to injury! See if the those hardware monitors help isolate the issue. Maybe it just seems like iMac Pro is the issue?

Also, I'm not sure what's involved in downgrading or doing a clean install with that T2 chip. Might not be as simple as in years past.

30 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

Well that's just adding insult to injury! See if the those hardware monitors help isolate the issue. Maybe it just seems like iMac Pro is the issue?

Also, I'm not sure what's involved in downgrading or doing a clean install with that T2 chip. Might not be as simple as in years past.

I turned off the T2 chip and did a clean install, no change. I think it must be iMac Pro and Mojave since High Sierra works for you and Mojave works on my MacBook Pro.

1 hour ago, Allen Brown said:

I may have to downgrade (again), I thought after a couple of updates it would be safe. The thing that surprises me is that 2019 seems to work well in Mojave on my 2014 MacBook..

Alan,  I’d be curious to see specifications of your two machines (ie: processors, graphic cards, memory etc.) I contend, as others seem to indicate, that there maybe a common hardware denominator.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

I would encourage everyone to use Activity Monitor, iStat Menus and Intel Power Gadget to identify what's actually causing their respective issues. I'm fairly certain the base model iMac Pro that cost half as much as this one would be just as fast.

Sound advice it's my first port of call to see what is eating up what resource. Activity Monitor helps narrow down issues very well.

8 hours ago, Kingstone said:

Alan,  I’d be curious to see specifications of your two machines (ie: processors, graphic cards, memory etc.) I contend, as others seem to indicate, that there maybe a common hardware denominator.  

Through my research, and using a iMac with a boosted graphics card, I am leading towards the GPU being the issue in most cases.

6 hours ago, ptoner said:

Through my research, and using a iMac with a boosted graphics card, I am leading towards the GPU being the issue in most cases.

14 hours ago, Kingstone said:

Here's the specs for the two machines: 

iMac Pro.png

MacBook Pro.png

• Like 1

My iStat shows that when VW is running the AMD graphics card is running full bore, but when it's closed the machine is barely using the built in graphics in the CPU. I don't have any data to compare this to from when I was on High Sierra, but this does lean towards the GPU theory.

Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 7.07.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 7.08.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 8.40.36 AM.png

Edited by Dave T
2 hours ago, Dave T said:

My iStat shows that when VW is running the AMD graphics card is running full bore, but when it's closed the machine is barely using the built in graphics in the CPU. I don't have any data to compare this to from when I was on High Sierra, but this does lean towards the GPU theory.

Your iStat looks like the iStat for my 2014 MBP with 2GB VRAM hooked up to a 4k display. My iMac Pro hooked up to a 4k display rarely uses more than 25% of that 16GB card ever. I have to really be pushing it to hit 50% (with a bunch of other apps open), so there must be something else going on there.

On 11/11/2018 at 1:50 PM, rgcn said:

My 3D Connexion Spacemouse Enterprise loses connection randomly on High Sierra. I simply unplug it and plug it back in to give it a reboot. 

This happens inside and outside of Vectorworks. 

In some instances with Apple’s OS, USB connected devices can cause issues upon computer boot up. Of course it’s not always feasible to always have all your USB devices unplugged during boot up. 

Rob

Did you ever fix the issue with Space Mouse losing connection. I just got a new Imac Pro and 3Dconnection Space Mouse. My Imac came preloaded with 10.14 and every time I restart the Imac I have to unplug the receiver and reinsert to gain acess to the space mouse. Should I just send the space mouse back? 

The space mouse works fine on my old 2010 MacPro (os 10.13.6) with VW 2019. So it must be OS 10.14 or the Imac Pro. I called 3Dconnection they are very nice but can’t really diagnose the problem.

So is space mouse it worth the problems??

2 hours ago, rjtiedeman said:

My Imac came preloaded with 10.14 and every time I restart the Imac I have to unplug the receiver and reinsert to gain acess to the space mouse. Should I just send the space mouse back? 

The space mouse works fine on my old 2010 MacPro (os 10.13.6) with VW 2019. So it must be OS 10.14 or the Imac Pro. I called 3Dconnection they are very nice but can’t really diagnose the problem.

Every time I restart my 2017 iMac Pro (10.13.6), I have to unplug my 3Dconnexion CadMouse, and plug it back in. It's been that way from Day 1 (roughly a year ago). I clean installed the driver with no success.

I don't have this issue on my 2014 MacBook Pro (10.13.6).

Reading your post makes me suspect there's an issue with iMac Pro hardware and 3Dconnexion firmware.

I would love to know if anyone using 3Dconnexion devices is having this same issue on other Mac's, particularly the 2018 MacBook Pro.

Edited by Mark Aceto

I updated my drivers to the latest 3Dconnection drivers (10.6.1) it didn't help. The paring still fails on restart. I have plugged the receiver into every USB socket on the Imac Pro and also the connected to the USB3 ports on the Caldigit TS3Plus-US20-SG Thunderbolt 3 docking station. The problem is the same. However my 2010 Mac Pro USB-2 connection works fine. I was wondering if the problem is that the new USB 3 ports and the 3DConnection Universal Receiver has a problem with USB 3 ports in general.

I have even removed and re-installed the software twice after found that the 3Dconnection Helper was listed 3 times in login items/users & groups.  I have also been on the phone with 3Dconection tech 3 time on Friday with no solution. Since my new IMac Pro is only 1 week old I am going to call Apple tech support in the morning to see if they can shed some light on the (nuisance) problem since it is only on my new Imac not the old one.

Edited by rjtiedeman