macOS Mojave (10.14) Compatibility

• 1 month later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 9/10/2018 at 3:55 PM, Andrew Davies said:

Hey Jim 

What’s the latest on this?  Any change? Thanks 

Andrew 

it has been updated today, however no real change so far. As a result of our testing, we recommend against Mojave until we give the all clear. There were a LOT of performance issues that I would say made things unusable.

Sorry I don't buy that excuse. Given how badly it performs on Mojave they could have been doing a lot of incremental work to bring it along in lockstep with the OS. Plenty of other developers seem to have managed just fine. Vectorworks is the only app that I have found where the performance and general feel has gotten significantly worse on Mojave. Even 2018 runs a lot better although not very well!

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Andrew Davies said:

Have you taken the plunge already Zoomer?

Of course, same procedure as every year.

Although I would not need Mojave, just to see how VW behaves.

But now, I really like the Finder Upgrades.

Like every year its is just Steinbergs Audio Products and VW.

everything else is fine. Either they offered Updates a week before

or just like Bricscad, Modo, C4d just no update or warning and

it just works.

For me it looks that VW 2018 and VW 2019 behave exactly the same under Mojave.

Edited by zoomer

Very frustrating experience with VW on the Mac. Sometimes I wonder why I bother other than the fact that I have so much invested in the software that it is hard to walk away.

Based on how bad it works on Mojave I have a hard time seeing how it is going to get better very soon, to me it looks like there is a ton of work to do to get it to work. Even really simple things like editing a value in a number field do not work. I cannot imagine that Mojave caused all these problems. As a Mac developer myself I have been using Mojave since day one, sure it had problems but it is solid now. I had very few problems with my code. But I suspect most of the problems with VW come from the fact that it is cross-platform code, hard to make that stuff compatible.

We'll see how long it takes till we get something workable,

I agree both 2018 and 2019 behave close to the same on Mojave, although 2018 is a little better but not by much.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Thats exactly it. The amount of money our company, had invested and continues to do so, 30+ licences with subs, we expect better, quicker software updates and support, both are lacking. So much so that we have already started a refresh process with another CAD package.

Edited by ptoner

Yes, eMails or in-App notifications would have been a very good idea.

But as much as I joke about the yearly VW releasing a week before

OS update and not ready,

in a professional environment you should never do that.

Never ever upgrade before any 2nd patch or SP2 to anything and not

without testing.

If you look at large companies like Automobile Industrie with Microstation,

they are 5-8 years behind in CAD and often OS too.

The IT will test Software against their oldest legacy projects and if there

is any still any slightly difference they won't roll out new versions to their

employees. Or ever any OS updates without testing, not only because of

compliance with their Software but the OS itself.

And they will dictate those versions to their 3rd party co-workers too.

And what you will never ever do is even upgrade your working system to an

public Beta OS. But I was happy that some really did early, and communicated

all issues early. Might not have changed much so far though.

I think the Schedule is 2 month for a next SP anyway.

But of course I have a CCC cloned SSD of my latest High Sierra State.

And if I need to rely on VW 2019 (or better 2018) soon I can press and

hold ALT key when I switch my Mac Pro on, and boot from that external

High Sierra BackUp if necessary.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1

I updated to Mojave and now both VW2018 and 2019 are unusable. The biggest issue is I can't even select the text tool without a total freeze and need to force quit. Not sure what to do now that I'm in the middle of many projects and need to work on the drawings. (also crashes with opening a blank new file and trying to create any text) Downgrading back to High Sierra means wiping your entire HD -- all that for VW to work. I do not have the time or patch for that right now. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. In what we spend annually on this software for it not to work with new macOS versions when they have been in beta for many months is beyond frustrating.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Barrett H said:

I updated to Mojave and now both VW2018 and 2019 are unusable. The biggest issue is I can't even select the text tool without a total freeze and need to force quit. Not sure what to do now that I'm in the middle of many projects and need to work on the drawings. (also crashes with opening a blank new file and trying to create any text) Downgrading back to High Sierra means wiping your entire HD -- all that for VW to work. I do not have the time or patch for that right now. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. In what we spend annually on this software for it not to work with new macOS versions when they have been in beta for many months is beyond frustrating.

Concur.  I am in a similar boat:  either use an old computer in the back of my office; or wipe my entire HD, downgrade, and start over (which is another day of lost productivity).

• Like 1
10 hours ago, zoomer said:

But as much as I joke about the yearly VW releasing a week before

OS update and not ready,

in a professional environment you should never do that.

Totally agree. There was time to test it with beta programs, but we must say also that even the others main BIM Mac OS BIM applications have the same problems.

I a professional use every user wait a cup of weeks before update.

Exactly!

None of it makes much sense. The reason there are long BETAS for new versions of the OS is in order to allow developers to make the appropriate changes. Using the excuse that Apple is making changes right to the end does not hold. They are normally making these changes in order to make things better or to eliminate problems that might be impacting your software, so that is a good thing.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1