Inserting BIM object into 3D model

I am only at the beginning of week 3 of using & learning Vectorworks and thus my knowledge is not thorough. I have successfully managed to find the answers/solutions to all queries so far except this... It should be noted, I am still determining my workflow through this program as I was a Solidworks user for 8 years +.

I wish to take this BIM object (https://bimobject.com/en/montbel/product/logica_00924), which in this case is a chair, and insert it into my model. I am finding that I am unable to see a 3D representation of these items and when it is inserted (using the Import function), my model disappears and I am usually left with a 2D version at best.

I created an 'independent' (i.e. nothing to do with the model file I was working on) to attempt to import it but this did not work either.

Any advice on how to utilise the large quantity of library objects available from manufacturers would be very appreciated to speed up my workflow.

Many thanks

Visibility problems are mostly cause by unsuitable Class or Layer Visibility Settings.

A similar problem happened to me when the Standard "None" Class was set to invisible

by accident. All Library Previews were gone.

And the "None" Class is widely used and should always be on. Like for Symbols itself.

While the Symbol's Components may be on other visible Classes, they won't show as long

as the Symbol's Class is off.

So it is worth to double, or tripple, check all Class and Layer Visibilities first.

Thank you Zoomer. I have checked and all of my layers were visible, I am working in a basic model, import an additional model and it is instantly the only thing I can see. Should I be setting the 'working plane' or anything else during this process? Many thanks.

@Nathan_UK Ive just tried this and it does open without problems.

Following the download from BIMObject site you will have this VW file (having chosen the VW file provided on their site)

1598563456_ScreenShot2018-07-24at11_38_03.thumb.png.0226ad4c27b8823626bbfe326f2056ae.png

You'll now need to open it. Its an older file, so just agree when it says it'll open in (your) VW version.

Although it appears you're now presented with a blank file - the asset is in the Resource Manager

1268880840_ScreenShot2018-07-24at11_31_36.thumb.png.268fa2e6b7a91c0d23a55284945eeb38.png

Place it where you want it.

-------------------------

(Update)

Just having a look back over your posts, I see the chair has a class 'Furniture-Main', so make sure thats not turned off.

I think though @zoomer's advice should be followed to the letter, as I believe the advice is the 'usual suspects' 

When you say you 'import an additional model and it is instantly the only thing I can see' I'd say that points to it being (automatically) placed on a new layer and you do not have other layers set to show.

When you say 'my model disappears and I am usually left with a 2D version at best.' sounds like you are most likely in Top/Plan and should choose to view in (any) 3D option

1291229172_ScreenShot2018-07-24at13_19_23.thumb.png.b22e3cfbc58a13e845932c8e491d55ff.png

Hope this (further) helps

Edited by Gadzooks
update
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you @Gadzooks  & @zoomer  for your assistance with this, I now use the Resource Bar to find the object and drag & drop from there. Which brings me to my next query, scaling. 

I have been working with downloaded DWG files from manufacturers, these are both attached.

When I try to import the cistern into the same file as the WC, the scaling is incorrect and the cistern is smaller than a bolt on the WC! It would be reasonable to question my entire process of importing etc as I only have the experience taken from this thread.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

**TEST** Bathroom | Duravit WC | CAD.dwg

**TEST** Bathrooms | Cistern | CAD.dwg

I think the problem is that Autocad and DWG do not force to real world units

and allow internal units to mean anything.

The Problem with this is that when you later define internal units to any (wrong)

real world units, the geometry does not follow but needs to be actively scaled.

And that often leads to DWG geometry drawn in wrong size and therefore using

scaling of blocks, not for adjusting their size but to correct their wrong scale.

And the same problem when you import DWGs,

it is not mandatory for a drawing creator or a Software to define units or to write

that unit choice into a DWG.

In that case VW import can't read the correct units automatically and it's up to the

user to verify the correct geometry scale after imports.

Normally VW's DWG imports Auto Check Units/Scale Feature works pretty well,

but it's worth to check by yourself after import if it really made sense.

And if not to retry with more suitable units or scale adjustments.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1