V11.0.1 Crashes

We have all brought up the subject a number of times on crashes related symbol editting, revision cloud tool

usage and today I had frequent crashes when zoomed in to again edit text. Never here anyone from NNA that ever even acknowledges one of these problems. It's as if the users are the only ones having the problems. How can NNA tech people never experience one of these problems?? Why keep all the users in the dark when a problem exists??

Stumbling along....

Tom in PA

Tom,

As far as I am aware, you have never directly reported problems with crashing while zooming and so forth.

I suggest you formerly submit an inquiry either through email or phone and have either myself or chris look into the matter. It's very difficult to troubleshoot problems on the board here because other people chime in with solutions that may or may not help the situation, and I end up with a larger situation to resolve than the original problem.

The bottom line is that if we can't duplicate it, the engineers can't duplicate it, the testing team can't duplicate it ... it's going to be hard to resolve. Usually though, with crashing like you describe, it's not application specific. It's usually a setting on the user computer, permissions, or out of date software.

Ran disc utility from the startup disk, reset permissions, repaired the disc (even though no problems surfaced).

Now getting the "You need to restart your computer..." message.

This resulted after adjusting a door PIO size.

This is serious enough that I can't continue using VW.

Remember, the file does work on an XP machine.

Repaired permissions with the startup disc for OS 10.3.5, and also repaired the disk. It found a problem it couldn't fix. Any ideas about software to try?

The above notwithstanding, VWA seems to be working, which may mean much of this dissing (see above) would be better directed at the box and not VW.

Thanks for your help, Katie.

Norton disk doctor or Alsoft Disk Warrior are applications you can get that may be able to repair the hard driver. Otherwise, you'll have to reformat the entire hard drive. You won't be able to do an archive installation because the new system folder created with the archive installation won't fix the underlying problem.

I'm still not convinced VW isn't part of the problem. I bought Norton Systemworks, did the repair stuff, defragged the drive, removed duplicate files, repaired again, then used Apple's startup disk to repair permissions again, and now there is NO indication that there is anything amiss on the hard drive. All this took most of the weekend.

There are much less frequent crashes, but VW seems to trigger them, mostly. Could be because of software memory demands?

One other thing: There is only 1.75G left on the built-in 20 Gig hard drive.

I think the free hard drive space on the computer may have something to do with the problem. Depending on how many programs you are running, the swap file and virtual memory may be getting maxed out.