Split by line tool?

I've created baseboards for a rectangle room.

I used the 2d ploygon tool and drew the profile of the moulding which I then extruded to the length of one side of the room.

I did this four times and then selected all and used "add solids."

Now I'm trying to add a moulding for a door.

When I put the door mouldings in place, the floor moulding obviously shows through. So, I used the "Split by Line" tool to cut the floor moulding where it meets the door moulding. However, this also cuts the moulding on the opposite side of the room.

Does anyone have a solution for me?

Just make up a 3d rectangle width of the doorway and moulding postion it over the moulding. select the moulding you want to edit and the rectangle, go to subtract solids from the same menu as add solids, make sure its highlighting the moulding piece and hit enter. Your moulding will have the piece taken out. If it's not right go edit group, and your two items will appear again as before the action, move or alter size if needed, hit exit group and you are out again.

It's cutting pastry with a cookie cutter. Your baseboard will be the same.

If you select that and go edit group, it will change to show the four pieces you put together before hitting "add solids"

That's what I like about Vectorworks, these elements are still there so if you need to change or move them by spotting a mistake later you can. I refer to them as hidden groups but not sure what the official term would be if there is one.

good luck

Alan

Thank you Gentlemen,

I had success with Alan's method. The cookie cutter analogy makes a lot of sense.

As for the Option/Click: very good to know Jonathan.

The problem with my situation (I think) was that I had done something earlier to make the 4 mouldings into 1 object. When I tried the Option/Click it still split both mouldings.

Thanks again.