Print a selected class in black

Is their a way to tell VW 11 to print certain class in black even through they are in color? I really like the results of printing in color and don't like the results of turning off all the color. I have been using class color for feed back when I'm working but I don't want all the weird colors printing.

Thanks,

Larry

iMac 17" G4 800 1gig with latest software versions

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean whilst you want your classes in various colours on the screen when working you then want to print some of them in black rather than their assigned colour.

You can of course, as I'm sure you know, change a classes colour but not change selective ones in a document from viewing in colour then printing black unless you specify black and white printing in which case you get no colour at all for any class.

Selecting and changing each required class to black to print the document is of course possible then back again but what a lot of messing about. why some classes still in colour and the rest black and white. what purpose does it serve?

quote:

Originally posted by alanmac:

you want your classes in various colours on the screen when working you then want to print some of them in black rather than their assigned colour

Yes exactly.

Selecting the B&W only doesn't change textures to B&W, they still show in color. If you've added anything with fill, say on an elevation it becomes white and really sticks out. If the B&W option would show "gray scales" it would be much better. The way it is now you can print in color and then have the copy center copy the drawing in B&W and you do get gray scales with out losing information.

Here's an example, I have different kinds of dimensions that are important to show on different views but sometimes they all show together. It is really hard to remember to change to the right class when going back and forth so I have all of them in a different colors. When I print in color I want all of them to be black even on a drawing that has other items in color.

So my question is, how do I set my three classes of dimensions to always print in black without changing my class colors to black and still printing my drawings in color?

Larry

Hi Larry

One of the great things about Vectorworks is it's versatility, allowing users to adapt the program to solve a problem or suit their particular need as you have explained. From my point of view I cannot see a way of doing this within the normal settings of Vectorworks. One of those clever users who write scripts for VW may be able to work a way of doing this but it's beyond my knowledge and capabilities I'm afraid.

Using layers instead of colours to locate the different dimensions and detail required comes to mind but don't know if that would work better for you. The layers do have options with regard to veiwing/editing as I'm sure you know. How about making a pdf. Do they offer alternatives a "normal" printer does not to get round this. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Good luck

Alan

[ 10-08-2004, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

Larry

One thing you can do is to have the different dimensions on different layers with separate 'layer' colours. When you want to differentiate, switch Document preferences to 'Use Layer Colors', then you would get these colours. Alternatively, use very dark colours that print basically black, but then you may not be able to differentiate them on screen. In the first case, you would set the class colour to black, so you would only see them in colour when you change the preferences to use layer colors. When printing, turn use layer colours preference off.

Hi Larry

If I understand you have all your dimensions in the dimension class but you assigned some of them with different colors If I am right perhaps you have to select the dimension class select black for the class NOT SAVE then print, then close your file without saving it in order to keep your colors. You can do the same trick with everything.

Jean-Pierre