Andy Broomell

Viewports need to be linkable to DL cameras

Question

6 answers to this question

Yes please. For storyboard or scene by scene drawings I often have 10+ viewports with the same camera view. I wish the camera information for them could all be updated at once.

Kevin

• Like 2

Yes.  I believe I asked for this in another thread.  When one pulls down the "View" picker in the OIP of the viewport, all of your cameras should be listed there.  That way the camera is NOT embedded into the viewport, which I have never understood the reasoning for.  The camera remains an independent object, and you can activate it as Andy wants to show different layer/class overrides, you can move scenery around, you can move the camera around.  

• Like 1

Its surprising that Design Layer Camera views weren't implemented from the moment we had the ability to embed cameras into Viewports. It seems such an intuitive thing to want to do. It's been wished for for a long time now but never as well articulated as Andy has above.

As a stopgap the "Other" check box in the viewports section of the Eyedropper tool will copy a camera view from one viewport to another, but it also brings some of the Advanced properties with it so you would need to be careful when using it.. 

I've just come to this after adding to a thread I started a year and a bit ago, where I expressed similar frustrations but not in such a clear way @Andy Broomell has done in his OP above. Pretty much completely agree with all of his suggestions. I hope people at VW are reading them. He's doing your work for you.

I find the way cameras work at the moment very confusing (with the result that I've generally simply avoided using them). Also, all of the scenarios outlined above are ones I regularly come across in an architectural context. By coincidence I made a few similar points in the thread I just updated ten minutes ago, here:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/47921-renderworks-cameras-horribly-confusing-and-what-is-the-point-of-them-at-all/

• Like 2

Now that 2019 is released and the Design Summit is over, I want to bump this topic in hopes that it's fully considered for VW2020. 😁

@Jim Wilson - has there been any internal discussion about improvements to the Camera tool? (I suppose you're probably not allowed to say, haha)

Lots of talks and this is very likely to be something we revamp, but if I had to guess, I would say it wasn't something in the cards for 2020. Lots of big rendering related news, but likely not this.