Worksheet =Area curiosity

Benson Shaw

Question

=Area returns area of 2d objects and area of source object of an extrude.  But returns 0 for other solids.

By mistake, I found an unusual use for this extrude “=Area”:

Floor Area of a massing model made from stacked extrudes.  Anyone know why extrudes report via =Area but the other solids do not?

=SurfaceArea is formula for total surface area of a solid.

-B

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 12.24.30 PM.png

• Like 1

8 answers to this question

@Nicolas Goutte - Thanks for comments and research!  I agree that the extrude source object is the difference and likely the main reason for this little mystery.  I have no experience with C++ or the SDK. Those links to the ISDK show some evolution in C++ by stating that the Calc prefix(?) is "being obsoleted" in favor of the Obj prefix for the Area and Surface Area functions.  So maybe part of this anomaly is legacy or artifact from the early days of Vectorworks. Perhaps =Area is a database function intended for 2d objects prior to the adoption of full 3d workflow. Returning the area of an extrude source object was/is an unintended result.  But, I'm speculating.  Doesn't really matter. It's a small bonus for me, and I find it interesting.

-B

Non Destructive method

3d Tool Set, Extract Tool in Extract Surface mode.  Click the desired surface. A NURBS surface is created (the extrude is not altered) and is selected.

Model menu>Volumetric Properties.  Area is displayed in the dialog.  OR

Modify>Convert>Convert to 3d Polys.  Area is displayed in OIP.

Destructive method:

Select the Extrude

Modify>Convert>Convert to 3d Polys

Result is a group containing 3d polys of each surface.

Ungroup, or Double Click to enter the group.

Select any surface.  Area is displayed in OIP.

Or

Select the Extrude

Modify>Convert>Convert to Mesh

Dbl Click the Mesh to edit

Select any surface.  Area is displayed in OIP

Probably other ways, too.

-B

• Like 1

Hi Benson! Thanks!

I thought about using this first method...but in fact, I need to put it in a worksheet to take off the area to calculate MDF boards quantity! So, I could associate a record to each surface, but it would be a lot of work...do you have any other idea to this take off?

Thanks again!

Here's a couple thoughts

1. Math related to the extrude(s):
Use the =Volume formula to find/display the extrude volume, then divide by the H to return area of the LxW surface.

Context:
Volume = LWH, Area of any face would be  V/L or V/W or V/H
The extrudes can have individual names (lowest field in the OIP Shape tab) or a class or other designation which would call them into to a worksheet.

2. If it's a bunch of shapes cut from sheets, eg for cnc router cutting, layout the extrude 2d sources or the extrudes on rectangles representing the sheets. Then count the sheets. You can use =Area (see top post in this thread) to get the areas of the individual source shapes and total area of them. Again, they need to be named or classed or have a record, or something to get them into a worksheet.

Note about names - If a name is assigned to an object, and that object is duplicated, the dupes will have orig name appended with increasing numeric suffix.

Probably loads of other ways.

HTH

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
  • Like 1

Great Benson!

I'm getting there...I first tried to use just the area considering the 2D source an MDF board, in this case, the extrusion would be always the thickness of the board, which I could name in a text record and have my worksheet organized, but...area function doesn't work when I edit the extrusion like tapering a face in 45º (it becomes a generic solid)...then I'm trying to use your idea above...tell you if it works!

Thanks again!