J. Wallace

Refined fill tool for landscape applications

Question

I've been using VW for around 18  years, yikes, and have concluded it's the best fit for the services I provide. So thank you VW.

One improvement I would love to see for the Landmark module is the ability to better control the fill feature for objects or shapes in order to provide some randomness within a 2d plan. The attached image is an example of what I'm referring to and from a designer, I follow on Instagram. In my opinion, the colour application is what really makes this design present well.  Typically a lawn or pond/pool looks much better with darker edges and some lightening of colour towards the center. I also recognize that the attached image is a hand coloured drawing.
If VW was able to produce this type of random fill/colour or allow users to control the depth of colour within an object it would bring most peoples presentations to a new level and give it a more hand crafted look.  Thanks for considering it.

fill.png

• Like 3

6 answers to this question

I have taken the time to drawing offset polys and giving them lighter and lighter colors as the go to the middle of my ponds, but yes, maybe a gradient tool that could follow that swimming pool edge or something similar would be handy.

18 minutes ago, Rossford said:

I have taken the time to drawing offset polys and giving them lighter and lighter colors as the go to the middle of my ponds, but yes, maybe a gradient tool that could follow that swimming pool edge or something similar would be handy.

@Rossford I have done the same thing at times but it still looks quite hard and certainly not an organic look.

It's almost something along the lines of a photoshop adjustment layer where you could brush on that layer and affect the underneath color. Or just a paint layer with bounds of the shape being painted. Trying to build gradients to achieve the style from the instagram post would be difficult I feel.

3 hours ago, JohnAthayde said:

It's almost something along the lines of a photoshop adjustment layer where you could brush on that layer and affect the underneath color. Or just a paint layer with bounds of the shape being painted. Trying to build gradients to achieve the style from the instagram post would be difficult I feel.

I think you have hit it on the head @JohnAthayde, perhaps a typical solid fill could be adjusted using a brush tool that removed or edited the areas applied.