Modelling in 3D - Move object to specific global 'Z' value (i.e. 0)?

Hi All,

I'm gradually getting to grips with 3D Vectorworks, but still finding some simple things frustrating, and I'm sure its just my lack of knowledge!

Is there a way to move things to a specific 'global' z height? For instance, I want to move an object to sit on 'z=0', but there is a bunch of geometry around there which makes it hard to snap precisely. Or, I want to move the object from within an awkward 3D view.

Any tips or advice??

A

Many Objects already have a Z option in OIP.

Just the Generic Solids are missing.

It would be great to have the similar option like for 2D Rectangles in OIP

with the edges dummy, to select the origin, from a bounding box dummy,

but 3D. To input world coordinates or Z height related to Layer plane.

Or generally for translations, to be able to input a world coordinate instead

of distance only.

• Like 2

A similar frequently used method is to place a 3d Locus (Shift 0) - move it to height in the OIP.

In an elevation view select both your target object and the 3d Locus and Align Distribute (cmd = } to Bottom

The Locus Point doesn't move.

• Like 4

Thanks All, useful stuff!

As you touched on @bcd, I also need to get used to checking which plane I'm drawing on, as have been caught out a few times now (aligning geometry in the 'z' axis using a side view, then finding out its jumped a mile into the distance on the 'x' or 'y' axis. I can see this is going to become a common frustration..).

• 3 years later...

Hello thanks for the tips 😉 But I have a problem with the 3d locus method ...

I import a dwg file, and ij side view I see that not all the stuff are at z=0...

So I draw a locus point put it Z=-5000mm , and then select all and align it to the botttom, but (as you can see in the video below) not all stuff are aligned , some objects dont move... 
I can't move it one by one but it's long (finally i did it)

Is someone can help me to understnad why it doesn't work and what I ve to do for the next time it works ?

2022-02-28 12-58-12.mkv

Edited by Ben59

I'm guessing the problem is that the objects not responding to the Align function are 2d objects.

EDIT - 2d objects which are not on the layer plane. They are planar geometry or text, but have z values other than zero. Plane designation in OIP is 3d.

Also, probably best to Align in Orthogonal projection.  Video shows drawing is in Normal Perspective during the Align attempts.

To align 2d objects to z=0

• Place drawing in Orthogonal projection
  • Select the objects
  • Switch view to Top/Plan
  • OIP>Plane menu>choose Layer Plane.

After all are on same plane, if desired, move them to a different z:

• Any view - Select objects,  Modify>Move 3d
  • or
  • Any side view - Select objects, drag or Move by Points.  Group, then move if that helps.

Post a file if things not working.  Copy/Paste in Place a few objects into a new blank file.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
#1 Edit projection, proschmection #2 Edit - 2d but z ≠ 0
  • Like 1

thanks for your answers!!!

@Benson Shaw your way is working, here is a link to a video where I test it 😉Align objects : Beson shaw solution

@Jonathan Pickup  I saw your video on you tube, thanks!!! I try to record my working plane and move all the stuff to that plane , but I have "mistake" with text ... I think the mistake come from me 😉

Your way looks quicker but I have mistakes ...

here is the video ... Align to plane : jonathan pickup solution

thank you all!!! And sorry for my "frenchglish" 🙂

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
On 6/29/2018 at 6:23 AM, Asemblance said:

Is there a way to move things to a specific 'global' z height? For instance, I want to move an object to sit on 'z=0', but there is a bunch of geometry around there which makes it hard to snap precisely. Or, I want to move the object from within an awkward 3D view.

Was again digging for what I would tend to call GRAVITY and stumbled into this request.

I am assuming that there is NO solution to this that works over all, especially if you are working in a perspective view?

• For a 2D object, the Screen Plane / Layer Plane / Working Plane selection in the OIP is an odd, yet functional solution.

• A fundamental 3D shape, (Extrude for example) also has a Z in the OIP - set it to Zero - easy solution, accept 

... Rotate a fundamental item and you are out of luck with the OIP.

• A symbol also has a Z in the OIP, unless it was created at other than Z = Zero for the active drawing.

As In am finding that Symbols, imported from other designs / versions, are often listed in the OIP at Z = Zero, while the bottom of the symbol is NOT actually @ Z = Zero

... so a universal (¿ Script ?) solution of Bottom most point of the Selected Object is now Z = Zero would be great

• I have taken to creating a Floor Object that is an extrude of Zero in the Z direction, centered at Zero-Zero. Snapping to the Center of this Floor Object appears to work in many situations (Rendered Open GL Perspective) - Or locate & Lock a 3D Locus at Zero-Zero - This method still requires the object, now with the  Bottom most point @ Zero, Zero, Zero to be moved in the X & Y back to where it was.

(...maybe you will get the 3D Locus to also be a Master Snap Point)

The Working Plane example from Jonathan Pickup is good, just not a one step process. (ie: the way Z = Zero can be set for some objects in the OIP).

I like the Jonathan Pickup  video approach (See above) as it also shows the failings & short comings of the process.

Like wise, changing to the Front / Ortho View and utilizing the Snaps, or Align, or ... 

This all works, just not as Asemblance originally requested above ...within an awkward 3D view.

As always, any advice and answers are aptly appreciated.

Peter

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Elite Exhibits said:

... so a universal (¿ Script ?) solution of Bottom most point of the Selected Object is now Z = Zero would be great

I think the Align 3d command was added to the Align feature set after the OP date and discussion. This command can help, I think in any view, but may need some fiddling. Also has problems with mixed 2d3d selection. 

If objects are all above z=0 (or other desired z value), then place a 3d locus or other object at z=0 . Select the locus and objects and run the command with only the “z Bottom” option active. The objects move in z only, ending with lowest point of each object descending to z=0. Locking the guide object may help. 

If objects mixed above/below desired z, group them then enter the group and run the Align 3d to bottom. As earlier posts above, move the group up to z=0 by any means, eg MBP, Move 3d, drag, Align 3d again, etc.

One could also Align 3d the selection to bottom, temporarily create a symbol of the selection. Edit the symbol definition to adjust the insertion point to z=0. Use OIP to adjust the instance z. Then convert to group and ungroup. Risks of xy movement in the symbol edit phase depending on method, view, etc. 

Multi view panes is another path. Original perspective view, plus another in orthogonal side view. Close out the side view without altering the perspective. 

But all the above still depends on align, or finding exist z value for calculation, rather than a send to z=0 (or other). I support idea for command/script/enhancement to move selection in z so that each member of selection ends up with bottom or ctr or top at specified z value.

-B