Asemblance

Modelling in 3D - Move object to specific global 'Z' value (i.e. 0)?

Hi All,

I'm gradually getting to grips with 3D Vectorworks, but still finding some simple things frustrating, and I'm sure its just my lack of knowledge!

Is there a way to move things to a specific 'global' z height? For instance, I want to move an object to sit on 'z=0', but there is a bunch of geometry around there which makes it hard to snap precisely. Or, I want to move the object from within an awkward 3D view.

Any tips or advice??

A

@AsemblanceHi, if you hit ctl/alt/m you get the option to move in the x,y,&z direction. Also click on a object and bottom right of screen you will see the location in 3D of your curser.

HTH

• Like 1

Thanks Alan,

I didn't know the ctrl+alt+m command - been using ctrl+m, one of the many little transitions from 2D to 3D I need to learn!

Many Objects already have a Z option in OIP.

Just the Generic Solids are missing.

It would be great to have the similar option like for 2D Rectangles in OIP

with the edges dummy, to select the origin, from a bounding box dummy,

but 3D. To input world coordinates or Z height related to Layer plane.

Or generally for translations, to be able to input a world coordinate instead

of distance only.

• Like 1

No way to easily move some objects to sit on the ground plane is definitely a problem unique to VW. Here's the easiest/most accurate workaround I know of -

1. Shift to front or side view.
  2. Draw a line at z=0. I usually use a Screen Plane object because there's no danger of it being "pulled into" the screen and it will behave predictably when snapping. If you can snap to a z=0 point do that. If you can't, draw the line and then type 0 and enter into its "Y" field in the OIP. This will move the line to exactly z=0. 
  3. Drag any objects you want to align to the ground plane so that they are higher than the ground plane and your line.
  4. Select your objects and the line.
  5. Right click and choose Align/Distribute>Align Bottom (alternately you can use Modify>Align>Align/Distribute and check the same option).

Not a simple process but I use it all the time, especially to make sure objects in symbols are aligned to the ground plane.

Kevin

• Like 4

A similar frequently used method is to place a 3d Locus (Shift 0) - move it to height in the OIP.

In an elevation view select both your target object and the 3d Locus and Align Distribute (cmd = } to Bottom

The Locus Point doesn't move.

• Like 2

Thanks All, useful stuff!

As you touched on @bcd, I also need to get used to checking which plane I'm drawing on, as have been caught out a few times now (aligning geometry in the 'z' axis using a side view, then finding out its jumped a mile into the distance on the 'x' or 'y' axis. I can see this is going to become a common frustration..).

Set a side view and, to prevent jumping in x,y, switch the drawing to Screen Plane when dragging or snapping.  Switch back to Layer Plane or Auto as needed.

-B