Callouts and Text positioning??

Why do 'Callouts' postion the text differently when the leader is on the left or right?? I am doing a drawing and each time I go from left to right when placing callouts I have to go into the OIP and adjust the text position to the top. It is clearly spelled out in the manual but for what use??

On the left all my text in the callouts is relative to the bottom and the right it's relative to the top.

Looks stupid on a drawing.

This answer should be good.........

Tom in PA

• 1 month later...

Another one in limbo without an answer.......!

Well........back to the top we go.

Any help with this tool??

I have since had this tool malfunction in a number of ways from text mis-positioning, width of text box changing from the default of 2" to 0 in the same session, horizontal alignment doing what it feels like even when set on 'Auto' etc.

This thing needs a good looking at.

Tom in PA

Tom, I feel your pain.

I just discovered this tool, a replacement from the much simpler Leader Line Tool.

What you do to edit is overly complex, in my opinion.

You hit command-I and it brings up info on this callout. From there you can adjust all the attributes of the callout to your liking.

It peeves me that one cannot adjust the text directly on the Drawing anymore with this tool.

Thank You, I am not alone....

You are right. You should be able to adjust text with the OIP just as you can adjust text on some PIO symbols.

Where did the simple tools go, such as old leader line, old extend tool which worked very well, old revision cloud tool which you adjust size by grabbing corner and re-sizing, where now you have to delete and redraw. And the list goes on......

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

"Why do 'Callouts' postion the text differently when the leader is on the left or right??"

In the US, Architectural Graphic Standards says that if the leader is pointing to the left, the text should be on the right, and the leader should be aligned to the middle of the bottom line of text. If the leader is pointing to the right, these should be the opposite. So we added the "auto" options for the vertical & horizontal position popups, to do it this way. These are the defaults. But you can change the defaults by clicking on the Preferences button in the mode bar, with the Callout Tool selected.

"You should be able to adjust text with the OIP"

People complained that their notes were too long for the text field in the OI palette. So we created the "Edit Note" dialog. Now people are complaining that they have to use a dialog. [smile] But the dialog is easy enough to use, since all you have to do is double-click the callout to bring it up.

"old revision cloud tool which you adjust size by grabbing corner and re-sizing"

You can edit revision clouds using the 2D Reshape Tool.

Charles,

I have repeated problems with the revision cloud tool, namely crashing and locking up using WinXP SP2.

I have sent examples to Katie of some corrupt files using this tool. The cloud appears as a wierd shape and the shape cannot be editted or deleted without the program crashing. I was able to duplicate my problem and I set it to her.

I still have numerous crashes occuring when deleting items from imported Autocad dxf files.

Tom in PA