Adding an external GPU to Macpro

1 minute ago, JimW said:

Does that older Mac Pro have a compatible Thunderbolt 3 port? I wasn't sure if you could add those with aftermarket cards or not. If so, it should work as long as its running the latest macOS

Good question Jim, it's a 2012 version, specs here,  Perhaps a thunderbolt port could be added via a PCLe slot ??? Just a thought. I'm really fond of my computer and am in denial about upgrading it, probably because I don't find the alternatives to exciting.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
3 minutes ago, J. Wallace said:

Perhaps a thunderbolt port could be added via a PCLe slot ???

Id not looked into it before, I see a few of those available but they don't explicitly list compatibility with macOS. However, unless Apple is actively blocking it I would think it would be possible.

30 minutes ago, JimW said:

Id not looked into it before, I see a few of those available but they don't explicitly list compatibility with macOS. However, unless Apple is actively blocking it I would think it would be possible.

I wasn't even able to add a USB3 port card into my MP 2.1

(there are only a few cards that will work and are quite expensive)

So I think it is just a matter of getting one with a compatible driver

if TB will work at all.

And not granted that such a TB will be accepted by Apple as

eGPU compatible (?)

(As Apple also deactivated TB2 of nMac Pros for eGPU)

But not necessarily impossible 🙂

Even if you et a thunderbolt card, it won't act as a thunderbolt does on the older MacPros. It's a motherboard capability issue (at least with my 3,1). There's a lot of stuff people have done on getting 6G+ video cards in the older Macs, which is probably a better bet if that's where you're hitting a pain point.