need help with odd roadway texture

Can someone tell me how to fix this ?  .... look at the image and you'll see my roadway in white, and the roadway height is set to 10".  Thus, the plane of the white roadway is 10" above the DTM and you can see underneath to view an odd texture (in this case, flowers).  If I set the roadway height to be 0, then I can't see the flowers, but the roadway is interrupted by the DTM intermittently, according to the contours.   I can set the roadway height to be something like 2", but then I'll see just a tiny bit of the flowers underneath.   I checked both the DTM and the roadway and both of them have texture set to "none".    I can't explain why it is showing up as 'flowers' instead of bricks, or asphalt, or any other texture.  Changing the DTM or roadway texture does not change the flowers.

Any suggestions ?

one odd thing:  if I take a "snapshot" of the DTM, the entire snapshot is given the flower texture.  I can change the snapshot to other textures, but this isn't a good work-around if I want to make other changes to the DTM.

test roadway.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies .... but ....

Alan:  I attached a screen shot that shows the roadway is selected, and shows the attributes palette is indicating "by class".  Although not shown, the OIP render tab indicates the texture is "by class".

HEengineeering:  the same attachment shows the result after I set the roadway stations to the surface.  It reduced the underlying flower texture to  small areas, but did not get rid of it.

Thus ... the problem is not solved for me.  This is just a test file, but it represents the problems I have on a real park design where a 6 ft wide sidewalk goes around a terrain model.      Did I understand your suggestions correctly ?      IF yes, do you have an other suggestions ?

test roadway.tiff

The floral texture appears to be nothing more than a fill issue.  Try setting you fill to black. Also double check the render tab in Object info.  It looks to me like the top portion of the road looks correct but the bottom has a different texture.  You can fill texture by object or by surface (top/bottom/left /right).  

Could also try creating a new class and and set it up with a different texture.  Ive been told that these tools can be a bit clunky. Go into classes and look at the texture on the class "none"

Without the file this is just a wild guess.  I think that floral texture is the default texture for a Texture Bed (maybe as mentioned by @HEengineering it's also the None class texture and this is a None class object).  Sooooo, could it be that there is a second site modifier, in the form of a Texture Bed, under the road?

To test:

A)Duplicate the file with the problem road.

B) In the duplicate file, Delete the road object.

C) Is the floral area still there? Select it and note OIP object type. Note: Most site mods can be selected in the Wire Frame view.  Most (all?) have a 3d locus in their wire frame view which is another selection point if the mod is reluctant to select.

If dbl site mod is the issue, then, in the original file, delete the texture bed, or if it's needed, change its attribute to some desired texture or to solid fill of choice.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
precision

thank you all for your help.  I'm a bit of an amateur.    I did, finally, figure out that the flower texture was part of the site modifier class attribute.  However, I don't understand why there should be any texture there at all.  If the roadway is above the DTM, shouldn't the DTM under the roadway have the same texture as the rest of the DTM ?   Here is the test file (VW 2015), for your curiosity.  You'll see I replaced the flowers with 'mulch'.   Also ... it still seems to be a bad thing that the "under-the-road" texture is erratic and is only present on some of the DTM triangles, not all of them.

PS:  I'm proud of my fence and lattice textures .... feel free to copy/use them as you wish.

test dtm roadway.vwx