Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Scale awareness of object nodes

elepp

Hi Folks,

maybe one of you has a good idea of how to solve this problem. I created an object node that reads the content of a database, that is attached to a symbol. I want to use it as tag for windows. Is there a way to have it react like a symbol to changes in the drawing scale? I would like to have the possibility to choose the size of the tag to be either absolut or relativ to scale. I assume there is no node, that would facilitate that.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ed

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I am not sure if it is possible to tie objects to viewport scale or annotation space, but there is a command that reads layer scale and you can use that to scale your tags if they are being placed in the design layer. I created a node that gets the layer scale that an object is in - if the scale is 1:1, the node will return "1" and if the scale is 1:50, the node will return "50." This was based on the Get Layer node, I just added a command to get the layer scale instead.

GetLayerScale.vwx

HTH,

Sarah

• Like 1

I think you would need to have your Marionette network place a page based symbol as the "tag" object. The symbol would be a couple of pieces of text linked to records and the Marionette network would need to write to those records. A page based (green) symbol updates based on sheet layer scale. The only thing I'm not sure about is how dynamically this would update and keep current.

Kevin

• Marionette Maven

I'm looking into making this work. There are some commands that will return Viewport scale, I just need to see if I can get a Marionette object to work correctly inside of an annotation group. I'm trying to avoid inserting page based symbols because I can't guarantee their reliability. They would almost definitely require a manual reset.

I'm running into a problem where Marionette Objects in the annotation group won't allow you to edit their contained script so it's taking a little longer than I would have hoped.

We haven't tested workflows with Marionette Objects in viewport groups, so bear with me, and rest assured that I'm logging all of the issues I'm finding 🙂

• Like 1
On 6/27/2018 at 4:16 PM, sbarrett said:

I am not sure if it is possible to tie objects to viewport scale or annotation space, but there is a command that reads layer scale and you can use that to scale your tags if they are being placed in the design layer. I created a node that gets the layer scale that an object is in - if the scale is 1:1, the node will return "1" and if the scale is 1:50, the node will return "50." This was based on the Get Layer node, I just added a command to get the layer scale instead.

GetLayerScale.vwx

HTH,

Sarah

Thanks for the reply and file. I'll see how I can use it in my workflow. 😀

On 6/27/2018 at 5:23 PM, Marissa Farrell said:

I'm looking into making this work. There are some commands that will return Viewport scale, I just need to see if I can get a Marionette object to work correctly inside of an annotation group. I'm trying to avoid inserting page based symbols because I can't guarantee their reliability. They would almost definitely require a manual reset.

I'm running into a problem where Marionette Objects in the annotation group won't allow you to edit their contained script so it's taking a little longer than I would have hoped.

We haven't tested workflows with Marionette Objects in viewport groups, so bear with me, and rest assured that I'm logging all of the issues I'm finding 🙂

Is it though possible to do it on the design layer? I would place the object node on the design layer and create two viewports with different scale. I would prefer it that way for now, because I have to select each custom window symbol to get its ID. The ID then gets typed into the object node to retrieve the information from the custom data base.

If I insert the object node in the annotation group, that would not be possible, right?

• 4 months later...