Gambrel Roof question

Jim Smith

Question

I can make a Gambrel roof pretty simply by making two roofs and editing them at their intersection, The issue is how the roofs intersect as without turning the Roofs into dumb objects I can't seem to produce the proper intersection of the two roof pitches. Any tips?

How it looks now

Untitled.jpeg

How it should look:

Untitled 1.jpeg

Edited by Jim Smith

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Any tips?

You've travelled to the Dark Side. Why are roofs/roof faces so buggy and disconserting to use?

Are you using the join tool in the correct mode? (stupid question)

But just in case..

836900742_ScreenShot2018-06-26at22_03_30.thumb.png.1f479ef71533fe8c6c34d3986251d0f1.png

Once you've attempted to join (and they refuse to hold hands with their partners) I find changing the (individual) eaves condition will sometimes throw the two together. Don't know why - I assume theres a geometric reason, but I haven't got that many years left on the planet to be bothered to find out.

Its all rather hit and miss, but theres nothing special about this technique (all roof actions seem to have an element of "Oh - it worked, better move on quickly")

Once you realise that the boffins coded a link to your web-cam that determines the way you are holding your face as you try to join the surfaces you'll be a master. I find one eyebrow up (Roger Moore style) and tongue pushed tightly against right cheek is they way to go. No - the inside of your cheek!!!

1610153993_ScreenShot2018-06-26at22_41_19.thumb.png.1f4f815a57d12bc3f4fb1a82bb43bf6c.png

Sorted?

Seriously - come back if I'm totally useless. Part of the day I'm clueless - its just no-one knows which part its going to be (might be the port we talked about)

• Like 1

I see, my eyebrows are switching back & forth between Curly Joe & Mr Spock so who knows. What makes this even more an exercise in Bazzaro world is attempting to add dormers. Is there a reason that Dormers generally are made to make one give up & go sell hammers at Home Depot? I mean the roof the Dormer creates isn't the same as the Roof Object cut nor are the walls any of the wall types in the file. 

• Like 1

I think my frustration with this is having forgot that for the Connect/Combine tool to work one must Ungroup the two Roof objects turning them into Roof Faces. Why in all the green green world are their two kinds of roof objects and neither one will make a Gambrel roof? 

Funny story; if one reshapes the roof to allow for a Gable Opening, the Connection disappears & if one then attempts to re-do the Connection, one of the Roof Faces disappears. 

Funnier story; I often think a pencil sketch (that would take 10 minutes to produce) and a crew of carpenters could  build most roofs in half the time it takes to model one in VW. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Love 1

I think the Roof tool needs a little work. It works ok but in the issue of Dormers and Gambrel roofs it's sorely lacking. I get that we have two kinds of Roofs to add some flexibility but here's my issue. To cut a dormer I have to model this rather than use a Roof or a Roof Face. See the attached: 

If I cut a Roof Face to add a dormer and join it to another roof face only one side is joined

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 18.46.24 (2).png

Works if I don't cut the roof face. So I have to turn this into a solid and clip. So now if I cut a section, I have to spend time in Annotations fiddling around with fills and junk. In other words BAD DRAFTING!  And as my Drafting teacher drummed into my head years ago: "Bad Drafting will always screw things up" 

But she used more colourful language.

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 18.44.56 (2).png

Edited by Jim Smith