Symbol Creation

Ok, I know this is a stupid question. I have done this before and now I can get it to work, no matter what I do. Help needed. I am creating a waterfall counter. I created an extrude of a path, and then created a rectangle to represent the 2D component part of the symbol I want to create. I select both and then select create symbol. When I click ok, it gives me an error and says the 3D portion of the symbol will no longer be visible in plan view. When I rotate the view in 3D the 2D rectangle is still there but the 3D disappears. What am I doing wrong? I want to be able to see the 2D portion in the top plan view and then when I rotate it disappear and only the 3D portion displays. Feeling very stupid right now.

The symbol is set to to 'convert to group', it's shown as a blue symbol in the resource browser.

If you select the symbol in the resource browser and edit it the 2d and 3D components are visible as appropriate.

Select the symbol in the resource browser, using the symbol options, deselect 'convert to group', when you place the symbol it will then display correctly when viewed in either 2d or 3d views

Hope this helps.

Screenshot 2018-06-23 18.38.49.png

Screenshot 2018-06-23 18.39.06.png

Screenshot 2018-06-23 18.39.18.png