two button mouse advantage

markoos

no, not really. the right mouse click opens what they call the contextural menu. this menu changes depending on the context, that is if you click on an object of away from objects.

The contectural menu is editable through the workspace editor and you can add menu commands to it. I have made some of my own simple menu commands and I have added these to the context menu along with things like paste in place, add surface, clip surface, etc.

You can make the context menu into a very powerful menu...

Oh yes, make sure you get a scroll wheel so that you can zoom in and out with the mouse.

quote:

Originally posted by archoncad:

Oh yes, make sure you get a scroll wheel so that you can zoom in and out with the mouse.

Ahh...But you forgot to add in the fact that you have to hold down ANOTHER KEY ON THE KEYBOARD to do that.

I can't think of any other program that still doesn't use the middle button for panning, and the scroll wheel (without extra keyboard pressing!) for zooming.

Wishlist item....STILL!

I agree - as a user of such applications such as Maya and AutoCad not being able to pan or scroll with the wheel alone makes Vectorworks a very time taxing application.

Also for the wishlist, being able to type in a command - like AutoCad - I type in 'pl' then enter and the polyline tool is activated - it means I can draw with either my mouse of tablet in one hand, and type commands with the other - providing a very efficent way to draught.

VW rendering is fantastic though - while it may not be up to the standard of Viz, 3DS or Maya, the results you can acheive, with little effort and stress are pretty good.

quote:

Originally posted by Neelish S.R. Budhia:

Also for the wishlist, being able to type in a command - like AutoCad - I type in 'pl' then enter and the polyline tool is activated -

Neelish

In this respect VW is far superior to ACad.

The keyboard shortcuts are not only customisable through the Workspace editor, but don't require a sequence of multiple keystrokes, nor the enter key to invoke them.

The default polyline key is "5". For others there are combinations like Shift/key Cmd/key etc

The complete list of defaults is in the back of the manual.

cheers,

N.

As comes to occupational health, Apple's one-button mouse pretty much cured my partner's carpal tunnel syndrome, caused by several years of Windows use - despite the fact that she works on the computer at least twice the hours she used to.

This is simply because one does not have to in any way twist one's fingers and locate a particular button.

IMO, Microsoft optical mouse products lack the accuracy of the Logitech products. I'd have to say the Logitech MX700 is one of the better ones I've used to date.

In combination with the VW workspace editor, the MX 700 and its two thumb buttons eliminate a few keystrokes here and there.

I'd say a Microsoft Wireless Optical mouse is a great addition. The price is really good as well. If your UK based try novatech.co.uk it's under ?20.

If it's the style over function Apple mouse you have, put it in the draw like so many other users and enjoy the better functionality of a Microsoft, Logitech model.

With the tilt wheel version I have I can scroll up and down, left to right with just the centre wheel in Vectorworks.

Okay holding the shift key to zoom but that's no big deal and certainly not the time taxing issue some have refered it to. A little over the top.

As pointed out Vectorworks is easier to use and has far better functionality than Autocad in key command issues.

Always disappointed, when I worked in a mac studio, that Apple stuck to its one button mouse.

I doubt if one person on an Apple who has used another mouse with 2+ buttons for any length of time every went back. Now watch the posts roll in!!

Anyway for the price you can always revert back without problem.

Good luck

Alan

quote:

Originally posted by Neelish S.R. Budhia:

... mouse or tablet in one hand, and type commands with the other - providing a very efficent way to draught...

Vectorworks is very good at this. You can close your tool palettes, stop pulling down menus, and do all that with the keyboard.

Tools and Commands can all be invoked with keystrokes, without the Enter Key or Space Bar as in Autocad. It helps to add a third party Macro Utility, so that you can use Function keys and any extra keys you have as single-stroke Command keys (instead of being combined with Ctrl or Alt).

And X and Y dimensions as you draw and edit can be entered very quickly using the numeric keypad and its Enter key, without the @ symbol or commas as in Autocad.

I share an office with a firm that uses Macs and single button mice. It is the most inefficeint CAD production (and old Microstation) I have ever seen. Even worse than Autosuc. Insane might be a better description.

I use a Logitech cordless 2 button w/scroll optical with reckless abandon and do not suffer from carpal tunnel.

Runtime Error

Don't seem to have seen your reply to my post requesting the method you used to test the accuracy of the Microsoft Optical Mouse against any Logitech offering.

This is not a knock at Logitech products they are very good, but if you are going to make such a statement please be prepared to justify it when asked how you came to this opinion.

I have never had an accuracy issue with the various Microsoft mice I've owned and as regards Vectorworks any problems with inaccurate snapping, smart cursor etc. has been resolved from within the preferences or configuration options.

quote:

Originally posted by Petri:

This is simply because one does not have to in any way twist one's fingers and locate a particular button.

Can't see this myself. Apples dogged form over function attitude towards its mouse has long been a critcism from within the Mac community.

As for white keyboards I won't even bother going there.

On a two button mouse the fingers that operate these buttons lay flat and touch directly on these at all times with your hand curved over the mouse, so no finger twisting is involved at all.

With some of the more complex mice the additional buttons are located at positions also where digits may rest, for example the thumb location.

Granted that for left handed people some multi button mice can be a problem, shaped for right handed use, but the one I use and also many others I've seen go for a symmetrical shape, fine for both hands.

What I have found to help with any strain related problems is to use a mouse pad (even though the optical ones don't need them on none reflective surfaces) with a raise gel filled cushion to rest my wrist on. Works well for me and I get no pain even after a 10+ hour day on my computer.

[ 10-09-2004, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

quote:

Originally posted by alanmac:

Can't see this myself.

Lucky you - the two years I worked with a PC and two-button mice (bought several) were a constant pain.

quote:

Apples dogged form over function attitude

I take you are not an architect...

But, hey - whatever works is good. I just find Apple's current mouse very comfortable and relaxing as it allows any hand position or clicking method - even with a glass of Scotch in hand (it is quite late here and Saturday.)

Originally posted by Petri:

Lucky you - the two years I worked with a PC and two-button mice (bought several) were a constant pain.

Thought it was a problem of your partners solved by using the Apple mouse?

[quote} I take you are not an architect...

What's that suppose to mean?

quote:

Thought it was a problem of your partners solved by using the Apple mouse?

Yes - she had real pains, requiring medication and days off, mine were mainly frustration, although after a long day even my hand and wrist were tired and achy.

quote:

What's that suppose to mean?

Well, it was an attempt of humour - aren't architects always blamed for form over function? I know I am!

Hi Petri

Well, whilst we both use the same program with different operating systems with different hardware, at least we've found a way that suits our needs, does not cause us undue health problems and hopefully earns us a reasonable living. The last part being the most important.

I realise only to well the benefits of CAD but there are days when I think I've spent all this money, and time - continue to do both! just to achieve what I've been doing for years with simple technical pen, magic markers and paper only to produce it in a different way.

When a file corrupts,a system locks,a file won't print correctly or hardware dies I forget all the labour saving advantages and long for the days I only stopped because my pen had run out of ink or needed to buy another roll of tracing paper. My only "required" upgrade was a new lead in the pencil!! Ah those rose tinted glasses.

Hope you don't ever give in completely to the function over form school of thought. We are like jugglers, trying to keep a grip on both but occasionaly in this balancing act we lose our balls ;~)