Wall Projections

Kevin McAllister

Question

Hello,

I'm having some trouble with wall projections. I've never really used them before but they seemed like the right tool for the job. However they seem a little buggy. Two examples -

1) First a display issue. The hatches from the wall protrusions (in the green circles) sometimes jump into a pile at the origin. Is this a known bug?

1455668353_ScreenShot2018-06-21at12_29_38PM.thumb.png.1620302c0339b4652e5a335ad9dbd3ef.png

2) How do you solve the corners so you don't have the extra line?

1205394356_ScreenShot2018-06-21at12_29_57PM.thumb.png.b30a9fdb8a7ae4b4e68ee214963ad42a.png

Wall protrusions are pretty common in real life and there doesn't seem to be a nice clean way to draw as built architecture in VW. I really wish I could draw a poly "outline" of a wall and convert it to a wall-like object rather than trying to use a bunch of tools that are for designing new architecture.

Kevin

• Like 4

6 answers to this question

I tried using the 'wall projections' tool for a bit a while back and decided it was buggy enough that it was more trouble that it was worth.

My solutions have included just using solid modelling for protrusions and using horizontal sections instead of top/plan views and/or trying to use the annotation layer to clean up the mess in sheet layer viewports.

• Like 2

Thought I'd try using wall recesses/projections again. As per my post above from 2018, never really trust these. But wondered if anything has been improved in the intervening 5 years.

On first attempt I can confirm that at least points 1 and 2 from @cberg's post above still apply (in VW2023 at least).

So it would seem that nothing has changed and maybe I should continue to avoid these features, or would I be being over-cautious?

There is quite a lot of stuff that I simply can't model using wall objects (at least, not without horrendously complex assemblages of small bits of walls), unless these "recess" and "projection" features are reliable. So end up having to do it all as dumb solids.