Dimensions in the Annotations layer moving on their own.

hlagos

Question

I added dimensions to the annotation layer and everything works fine. However, when myself or my coworker open the file again some dimensions have moved and rotated themselves.

Normally we draw them in the design layer but for this file we have different sheets. Each sheet shows the same layer except that they are at different scales and it is rotated. Therefore, I added the dimensions on the annotation layer. 

9 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

When you say you “added dimensions to the annotation layer”, do you mean that you added dimensions in the Viewport’s Annotation space by right-clicking on the viewport, choosing Edit Annotations, then adding the dimensions “in” that space?

If so, dimensions placed in the Annotation space of a Viewport should indeed “stick” the points where they were placed. They should not rotate or move, unless the Viewport in which they are placed moves.

Might you be able to post the Vectorworks file so we can take a look at it? There may be a technique used that isn’t apparent based on your description of what is occurring.

I have seen this exact problem, I believe in VW 2106. If I recall, it had to do with constraints on the dimensions and the underlying geometry changing. i.e. draw a rectangle on a design layer, create a viewport of the design layer, enter annotations, dimension the rectangle, go back to the design layer and alter the geometry of the rectangle. Going back to the sheet layer, the dimensions are moved from their original location/orientation.

Please note, the example I gave is overly simplified, as I was never able to isolate the cause well enough to bug report. The only way I was able to keep it from happening was to turn off dimension auto associate, and remove constraints from all existing dimensions.

If you can recreate, please bug report it, and If I can I will add info to your report.

Cheers,

Ion

@hlagos So there are two steps. In the Document Preferences under the Dimension tab, there is a checkbox for Associate Dimensions, uncheck that. That will keep future dimensions from associating.

You have to actively remove the constraints from existing dimensions, you can do this en masse by electing all dimensions (Select Similar tool works well for this) then going to Modify>Edit Constraints. There is a delete all option.

Cheers,

Ion

• Like 1

I am sorry to hear that, because I now don't have any other insight. There must be something other than what I was experiencing here. I would try some simple troubleshooting to track the problem down. Try things like seeing if there are any commonalities when a dimensions move or rotate. Do one of you have to make a change to the Design layers to cause the issue, or is it as simple as only opening/closing operations. Are you working on Dropbox or some other shared drive?

Wishing you luck in chasing the problem down.

Cheers,

Ion

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@hlagos If Ion’s suggestion didn’t work for you and you are not able to post the file, then I’m stumped too.

I’d suggest testing with Vectorworks 2018 if you have access to it. Beyond that, if you still have tech support coverage through your distributor you could try running the issue past them.

This happened to us as well, in 2016. As @Ion described, that was the culprit for us aswell. We now make sure all dimensions are not auto-associated or associated.

image.thumb.png.a669ae5587a39038c7e50c1eb07ba8cb.png

Dimension constraints lose their associativeness when you cut and paste-in-place, either the object its tied to, or the dimension itself.

It was a real pain, as moving walls on the design layer would move the dimensions and vice-versa. I can see the appeal for this workflow, and its usefullness, but it just didnt suit our workflow, where we would do drawing checks on the sheet(manually) eye-lining dimension lines, and if they didnt match up, we'd know something had changed. This proved difficult, when the walls were moved ever so slightly on design layers, moved the dimensions in the annotation space aswell.