Brilliant VW keyboard shortcut

Set the increment amount in Preferences - Very useful.....

Maybe a sub forum for all of those little tricks you never knew were there. My latest discovery is using the Set Working Plane tool on the Ends of Nurbs Curves. You can set the Working plane to be at right angles to the curve!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

shift + arrow nudges objects one pixel (so the distance depends on the zoom)

Shift + command+arrow nudges a set dimension, which can be the snap grid or a dimension. 

(you can set one snap grid for design layers and another for sheet layers)

I use this feature heavily, with the nudge set to a grid increment.

Some thoughts:

These Move Objects Keyboard Shortcuts, aided by Matt’s very simple, but powerful Commands are a valuable part of my workflow. Thanks again to Mr Panzer!!

I try to always exit the Vectorworks Preferences from the Edit Tab. That way, when you use the keyboard shortcut to open Vectorworks Preferences, you are already in the right spot to make changes when you are not using the values stored in Matt’s Commands.  Since there is only one editable field on that tab, you even find the value already highlighted for you.

Stay aware of your Active Class setting. Miss-keying these shortcuts can navigate your drawing. You will likely notice if you change the Active Design or Sheet Layer (Mac ⌘-↑↓). You might be less likely to notice a change of Active Class (Mac ⌘-←→).

Some users coming from a Graphics background often like to set the Nudge capability to the Arrow Keys alone. I always caution against this in a CAD environment because of the possibility of inadvertently modifying your drawing. If you drop your doughnut on an Arrow Key, you may have violated the integrity go your drawing without even knowing it.  :- )

Keyboard Shortcuts are an important aspect of making Vectorworks your own. That’s the way to be productive (and enjoy your work). A word of caution, though: Having passed the 70 year mark, and having used Vectorworks with keyboard shortcuts for 20-some-odd years, the repetitive stress takes its toll. Be gentle on yourself and your keyboard.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 6/22/2018 at 8:02 AM, Tom Pearce said:

Some users coming from a Graphics background often like to set the Nudge capability to the Arrow Keys alone. I always caution against this in a CAD environment because of the possibility of inadvertently modifying your drawing. If you drop your doughnut on an Arrow Key, you may have violated the integrity go your drawing without even knowing it.  :- )

Keyboard Shortcuts are an important aspect of making Vectorworks your own. That’s the way to be productive (and enjoy your work). A word of caution, though: Having passed the 70 year mark, and having used Vectorworks with keyboard shortcuts for 20-some-odd years, the repetitive stress takes its toll. Be gentle on yourself and your keyboard.

Very good tips, Tom.

• 1 month later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 6/21/2018 at 9:39 PM, Matt Panzer said:

This thread reminded me of a simple but wonderful pair of commands I developed for @Tom Pearce a number of years ago. Tom and I decided it's time to stop keeping these gems to ourselves and give them away.

@Matt Panzer ! Let's meet up sometime next week and I can get a list of these from you and Ill whip up some kbase articles to host them all on.

• Like 1
On 6/22/2018 at 5:18 AM, MRD Mark Ridgewell said:

Thanks for sharing Matt, looks interesting. Will give it a try.

As an extra bonus,  just found that 'shift+command+R' rotates an object 90 degrees !

Command+L does the same thing, and its a little easier command!

Also added bonus,  Shift+Command+H  flips horizontally and Shift+Command+V flips vertically.

Cheers!