HEengineering

Site Model Roadway Nurbs Vs Road way Poly Stations

Posted (edited)

I get 2 totally different results while using each tool in regards to elevation.  Have a look.

Seems the roadway poly isnt giving me the elevation when I set the stations to surface? The roadway nurbs shows the station elevations correctly 700' or so marked accordingly.

When I send stations to surface with the poly roadway I only see station numbers (1 &0?) and 20' increments?

Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 10.29.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 10.33.51 AM.png

Edited by HEengineering

• @JimW I noticed something further about this tool.  The only way I can edit the stake objects to show something other than the stations(Like say elevation or ID) is to convert the roadway poly to a group? Which breaks any future adjustability with the road poly since it is now just a group? Doesn't seem like this is the way it should work ? Any thoughts?

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 10.40.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 10.42.45 AM.png

I've not personally been able to work reliably with the roadway tools. They're slated for a significant revamp, but not in 2019 specifically.

well that's mildly concerning.  What are the issues you have? Outside of this they have worked well for the jobs we have used them on.  Any alternative suggestions for site modifiers with a model?  Seemed like the best tool for the job as the poly line makes road coverature a lot easier than trying to join up several bits of  straight road with curved roadway tools.

Jonathan Pickup has a terrific series of road tool movies and how he adapts the tools to create complicated roads.

I agree that the tools are good in certain applications and do not adapt well to complicated-real-life situations.