Focus Rendering Attention

Matt Overton

Question

Many times you let a render run in the background only to find an error (human mostly) that means some part of the scene hasn't worked properly. A texture hasn't taken the the way you thought it would, it's scales all out or to reflective.

So you fix then re-render the viewport. The change you have made is a long way from where the viewport starts the rendering so it's going to be a while be before you see the result.

It would be great if there was a way to direct the renders attention to the most relevant parts of the image first. Then just let it go on it's marry way. 

Say by hovering the cursor over the target location or setting hot spots by pressing a key over those locations.

• Like 3

8 answers to this question

At times if setting up a big complex veiwport I'll often dulpicate viewport and trim it down to test patches even push on to seperate layer to lower the res to speed them up. 

3 minutes ago, Markvl said:

I have worked with 3dsmax in the past and with their setup I could have the whole rendered image in background and simply patch render the offending area.  That would be a cool feature.

that would be very handy indeed.

There is a render bitmap tool for this.  You draw the marquee around the area you want to render and it only renders that part.  Not sure if it works for viewports, you might have to leave the viewport to do so.  But a reduced crop would do as well.  

Setting the dpi lower is useful as well. 

This is common practice in 3d rendering programs, reduce the dpi, reduce the bounces, no anti aliasing etc.  

Yes lots of ways to avoid redundant work but wouldn't it be nice just to be able to tell the renderer were to start so you can get a good gauge.

Or better still keep the last render and tell it where to update limited issues. 

I find the centre of the image is rarely the focus of the image.

35 minutes ago, Matt Overton said:

I find the centre of the image is rarely the focus of the image.

Better than VRAY's default from the upper left edge 😉

I like the center start most times.

For GPU realtime or CPU preview VRAY and Modo offer the

"refine under Mouse Cursor" feature which is great !

Or the option to exclude re-rendering other than the objects

which you currently edit.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Matt Overton said:

Many times you let a render run in the background only to find an error (human mostly) that means some part of the scene hasn't worked properly. A texture hasn't taken the the way you thought it would, it's scales all out or to reflective.

So you fix then re-render the viewport. The change you have made is a long way from where the viewport starts the rendering so it's going to be a while be before you see the result.

It would be great if there was a way to direct the renders attention to the most relevant parts of the image first. Then just let it go on it's marry way. 

Say by hovering the cursor over the target location or setting hot spots by pressing a key over those locations.

What I do is fly around in the design layers bouncing between OpenGL and Fast Renderworks in the walkthrough tool, only looking at small pieces at a time before I page up a viewport and start a full render.  Would definitely be on board for an option along the lines of 'focus center of rendering on next mouse click' or something.  Also I would just love to be able to put the power of my GPU in to the process and speed the whole thing up.

• Like 2