symbol coordinate (X,Y,Z) database

Is there a way in Vectorworks to create a database of the X,Y,Z coordinates of a symbol (specifically lighting fixtures)? If so how? I would like to export this database information into Excel for use with other 3D visualization software. I am a VWorks Spotlight 11 user but thought this topic might apply to other areas of the Vectorworks platform.

I am somewhat familiar with the database features of the worksheet. I poked around V11 SL and but couldn't find out where or how the XYZ coordinates of the symbol are attached to the fixture as a record like that of "channel" or "dimmer". I will spend some time in the script area and see what I can drum up.

Nevertheless, if anyone has insight (how to) into the process I would greatly appreciate it.

Forum insight is always appreciated.

I understand the database features of worksheets.

The question is how do I assign the realtime X,Y,Z coordinates found in the Object Info window of my symbol to a record attachment automatically?

I understand and know how to assign data entry record attachments like "dimmer" or "channel". But realtime X,Y,Z coordinates are different unless I enter them manually based on placement of the fixture. Is there a way to link the realtime X,Y,Z information of the Object Info palette so that the X,Y,Z coordinates are automatically assigned to a record format? Specifically I want to be able to create a database worksheet with this coordinate information for export into 3D visualization information.

Maybe the process is much simpler than I can figure. Is there an existent link from the symbol that is not a record attachment recognizable in the paste function of the worksheet?

Does anyone know of a script or a process?

Greatly appreciated.

It seems that nowadays one can indeed get the z-values of symbols with a script, but still not with a worksheet. A script can write to a worksheet, - but it won't be a database report. A script can also write to a record, but not automatically. A PIO would do both (say, one that places a symbol), but that is a fair bit of work, to get the user interface right.

And now, just for curiosity: what sort of data exchange you have in mind?

quote:

Specifically I want to be able to create a database worksheet with this coordinate information for export into 3D visualization information.

One would think that there are other ways than parameter export/import, but obviously the receiving program can be controlled by parameters.

I am a production designer. My lighting console of choice these days is the GrandMA. I often do events with short turnaround/prep times which usually leave me no time to program. So I lay out and pre-program a majority of my show (scenic and lighting elements) with MA's visualizer which requires X,Y,Z coordinates for fixture/element placement.

I then create an Excel database manually doing the data entry with X,Y,Z, and X,Y,Z orientation information based on the symbol placement in my designs. The database (X,Y,Z) information can then be copied and pasted into the MA's 3D visualizer.

In the interest of keeping my pre-production time to a minimum I am simply looking for ways to streamline the process. The time I spend manually creating this database would be greatly reduced if Spotlight could create this spreadsheet automatically. It would also eliminate having to use a 3rd party program.

I am told by some of my associates that this is something AutoCAD is capable of doing.

Thoughts are always appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

How would one assign the XYZ value? Do you mean by manually entering the values?

I am just beginning to read through the manual on records and worksheets/database... I need something for dummies! [smile]

Being able to streamline positional information into a database is huge for me, and really is a make or break point to making a final purchase of VW.

(right now I am messing around with my brothers Mac with VW11)

cheers!

Amagine,

X & y values are easy (see VectorScript discussion for a solution), but z values can get hairy - the user interface for placing objects in z axis is not exactly 'there.' Or maybe it is, but I'm somewhere else...

Anyways, the robust solution is a parametric object. Which might even use a symbol as the marker.

Ahhh... The Z- Value coordinate. Been working on that for years. As an architect, I often spreadsheet X & Y values of objects. These are DYNAMIC values in a spreadsheet. Move the object and refresh the spreadsheet for the new value. Handy!

I have long bugged NNA Tech as to WHY Z-value won't work as X & Y do (dynamically). The program obviously KNOWS the z-coordinate of any object, as displayed in the info palette.

Just can't seem to get anybody to fix the code for the spreadsheet. All other solutions are work-arounds with big limitations. Will others please lobby VWorks Tech?