Offset the start of a line/polyline

Hi all, 

Ive recently moved over to VW 2018 from AutoCAD due to a new job. 

In AutoCAD, you could offset the start of a line/poly by holding on a point, then dragging in the offset direction and typing in the offset distance. You could therefore start drawing a line/polylight a certain distance from a point without having to do any extra actions in between. 

Is there any way of doing this VW? I need it to be a quick solution. Offsetting another line or drawing a line and having to go back to delete it unfortunately isnt efficient enough. 

Thanks 

Vectorworks 2018, Windows 10 

In Vectorworks you have the "G" key (or Datum marker) If you hover or allow the cursor to snap to a point then press the "G" key, a circular marker will appear. A tab-able data box will also appear. Here you can enter the offset parameters before you carry on drawing as normal.

It is a bit of an acquired skill, but easy once you get the hang of it and get into the routine.

Come back with any questions.

Edited by markdd
  • Like 4
3 hours ago, twhitwell6 said:

Ive recently moved over to VW 2018 from AutoCAD due to a new job. 

Welcome to the other side 🙂

There are definitely some things that are different in VW and you'll find out about some of these things soon enough and may have to unlearn some AutoCAD behaviour to reap the benefits.

Are you using the basic version of VW or one of the designer versions (Architect, Landmark, Spotlight or Designer)? Some functionality is only available in the designer versions so it would be good to know which VW version you are using.

11 hours ago, Art V said:

Welcome to the other side 🙂

There are definitely some things that are different in VW and you'll find out about some of these things soon enough and may have to unlearn some AutoCAD behaviour to reap the benefits.

Are you using the basic version of VW or one of the designer versions (Architect, Landmark, Spotlight or Designer)? Some functionality is only available in the designer versions so it would be good to know which VW version you are using.

I'm using Vectoroworks Architect 2018. The switch over hasn't been too hard, just frustrating, especially as I've had to make the switch from Mac to Windows at the same time.  

I love this Datum Marker ..... Thank you all for saving a lot of my time!