Manage Saved Sets in Organization, more like everything else

DianaK

Question

I have a varying 30-80 plate project file.  Each week I have to update, re-save and publish 11 different sets. Step 1 check all new&altered plates and note to +/- them to whatever sets.  Step 2 take previous week's set, update it compared to list, save, publish.  If they are lose pages label each by sheet per selected setting options.  If multiple pages, name the packets to match the name of the saved set.  Do this again 10 times.  If any sheets have special render views, this process takes 1-2 hr and requires my attention.  I can't imagine having to deal with this for an entire building, it would be a full time job.

Wish: A saved set could be managed like a viewport in Organization.  Under Visibilities radio button (with better name) turn on or off the Sheet Layers you want showing, drag to change order.  Under Details radio button chose format, PDF or otherwise, set the same publish settings.  If they are lose pages label each by sheet, per selected setting options, PDF into a dated folder (format selectable I use YYMMDD but others don't).  If multiple pages, name the packets to match the name of the saved set with auto-date-add option.  Then when I publish, allow me to queue several Sets up and walk away.  A more detailed progress box, "publishing page # of total # of this set, this many sets and this many pages left to go"  would be a huge help.  At the end, an optional report "Each set took this length of time, this page# from this set took longer than the others long (so you know if there is one you want to fix).   

Please!

11 answers to this question

I'm not saying things can't be done.  I saying that, it can be smoother, easier and behave more like the rest of the program. And as I understand it, I'm doing 11 "Batches", but I want to set them up to all go successively.  Some batches have DWGs and PDFs loose, some are PDF packets that need to be manually named as they are being published. 

For an example I may have a weekly publish that looks like this: PDF all plates loose for Producer.  PDF all Rigging plates in one packet.  Same for Lighting.  PDF and DWG certain Sheet Layers for Audio.  PDF Packet of only the Guest experience for the End Client.  PDF All technical plates and export Design Layers DWG for Scenic. Then back-save VWX with all certain references pulled in and some left out for Video.  Staging, HVAC, Operations, Cameras, Brand Ambassadors, F&B, Talent Load-in-Load-out, TPA, Tents etc etc etc. Everyone has their own needs.

Each week's updates can take half a day to set up and process each week.  If when a draftsman makes a new Sheet in our Project file, if they could right then and there add it to whichever Sets it belongs in: say it is a plate about a jib platform, they could add it right away into Sets: Cameras, Scenic, Seat-Kills, Video etc., it would be huge.  

So, I think this boils down to two enhancement requests for the publish command.

1. There should a "Batch" option (much like the Batch render command) to simultaneously publish several different sets. This milky means another pane in the Publish dialog to select 'saved sets' the than just sheets and saved views.

2. When creating a new Sheet Layer or a new Saved View there should be an opportunity to add those sheets/views to saved publication sets. Currently the sets have to all be redefined to add content. This would be similar to creating new design layers or classes and adding to (or excluding from) exiting SLVPs. This new functionality should also be accessible via the Organization dialog?

Do these need to be two different enhancement requests?

6 hours ago, Kevin Allen said:

2. When creating a new Sheet Layer or a new Saved View there should be an opportunity to add those sheets/views to saved publication sets. Currently the sets have to all be redefined to add content. This would be similar to creating new design layers or classes and adding to (or excluding from) exiting SLVPs. This new functionality should also be accessible via the Organization dialog?

The management of sets is currently a bit of a disaster. If you rename a sheet in the current system, the publish dialog "loses" it. I'm not sure why, since managing them should be based on their unique IDs not their names.

If we were given Layer Folders, which have been requested in the past, it might make all of this process easier. Publish could remember Layer folders instead of or in addition to individual sheets. If a sheet was added to the Layer Folder and that folder was present in a saved set, the sheet would be publishes when that set was published.

Kevin

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

The management of sets is currently a bit of a disaster. If you rename a sheet in the current system, the publish dialog "loses" it. I'm not sure why, since managing them should be based on their unique IDs not their names.

If we were given Layer Folders, which have been requested in the past, it might make all of this process easier. Publish could remember Layer folders instead of or in addition to individual sheets. If a sheet was added to the Layer Folder and that folder was present in a saved set, the sheet would be publishes when that set was published.

Kevin

As long as one sheet could live in multiple folders.  There are also a lot of other details that one saves with a saved set that would be better managed via the method used in "Organization" than the publish procedure.    

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dianak said:

As long as one sheet could live in multiple folders.  There are also a lot of other details that one saves with a saved set that would be better managed via the method used in "Organization" than the publish procedure.    

^ I think this would be better served by the Publish system than the layer system, but that doesn't mean there couldn't be a Publish tab in the Organization dialog. In fact, that might make a lot of sense and be more consistent than the current implementation.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Kevin

Layer Folders?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kevin Allen said:

Yes! Layer folders would be great!

And the ability to assign layer folder access permissions on project files- eg. anyone from the Video company/department can add/change/delete within their own folder but none others

• Like 1