2018 bug in "Round Wall" tool

Vectorhead

Question

Hello,

I was curious if anyones else has seen this issue. I have a model that has several curved walls that I created using the "Round wall" tool. I was setting up a Plan view viewport and  a RCP viewport on a a sheet layer. The viewports were created using the clip cube. The Plan view viewport looks fine other than the curve in Hidden Line render looks more like lots of small straight line segments compared to how it looks in the design layer. So I then created the RCP viewport, everything looked similar to the Plan view but to place in on the sheet with the same positioning as the Plan view I of course needed to rotate 180 degrees and then rotate horizontal. After I completed the rotations any round wall that has a window or door inserted now have two complete circles in the viewport showing the extends ( inside & outside of the wall ). If I remove the doors and windows the circles disappear, and as soon as I place them back in the wall the circles reappear.  In the attached file you will noticed the the door swings on several of the doors show up 270 degrees not the normal 90 degrees. 

Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 4.06.15 PM.png

5 answers to this question

18 hours ago, ddix said:

I was curious if anyones else has seen this issue. I have a model that has several curved walls that I created using the "Round wall" tool. I was setting up a Plan view viewport and  a RCP viewport on a a sheet layer. The viewports were created using the clip cube. The Plan view viewport looks fine other than the curve in Hidden Line render looks more like lots of small straight line segments compared to how it looks in the design layer.

I have segmentation issues with round walls in the past (see here if you're interested). Some of it seems to depend on their radii and if they've been modified (changing the top edge or adding openings). It also depends on the render mode. Sometimes its possible to correct it by editing the 3d Conversion Resolution of your sheet layer section viewport. With the viewport selected, click on the Advanced Properties button in the OIP. When the dialog opens click on the Display tab and adjust the 3d Conversion Resolution dropdown.

18 hours ago, ddix said:

So I then created the RCP viewport, everything looked similar to the Plan view but to place in on the sheet with the same positioning as the Plan view I of course needed to rotate 180 degrees and then rotate horizontal. After I completed the rotations any round wall that has a window or door inserted now have two complete circles in the viewport showing the extends ( inside & outside of the wall ). If I remove the doors and windows the circles disappear, and as soon as I place them back in the wall the circles reappear.

This may be a bug. Are you able to post the file so someone can test it? Your signature shows you're using VW2016. I wasn't able to reproduce it in VW2018.

18 hours ago, ddix said:

In the attached file you will noticed the the door swings on several of the doors show up 270 degrees not the normal 90 degrees. 

I didn't know that cutting a section viewport with the clip cube generated different results than cutting a normal section. When I tried it I also got some weird door artifacts (#1 in the image below). The differing door swings may be a bug as well.

Kevin

168898086_ScreenShot2018-06-17at7_32_01AM.thumb.png.b4b652bbfb4fdcf716e9c4fb68e29222.png

• Like 3

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for all your suggestions and a reminder to update my information. I did have the 3D conversion set to very high. Made sense to me to try and recreate this problem with a new blank file and if I started from scratch I couldn't reproduce it. Then I thought how about copying the wall into the new document and sure enough the same situation happened. See below screen shot. I then played around and removed the door and window from the wall changed their class placed them back in the wall and the circles disappeared but only temporary. So I thought I would share the wall so anyone that would like to work with it and see what they might be able to find.

Dennis

Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 6.02.06 PM.png

Wall test1.vwx

I am now having the same problem in 2019. I have a small round wall, I have added doors and windows and now in top/plan it appears as a large circle the diameter of the round wall. How do I fix this without deleting the wall?

Edit: It seems to only occur once I attach my rounded wall to the other walls around it, if I move the wall out the circle disappears, but using wall join makes it come back.

Edited by Haydenovative

Haydenovative, Thanks for the heads up on the wall being joined haven't tried it yet but will the next time I have a round wall. This might be similar to the bur I have been having in 2018 & 2019 that if you use the clip cube and do a RCP viewport and the rotate the viewport so the doors align with the plan viewport the door swing show 270º arc not the normal 90º. I have found if I turn off "Display 2d components" the arc no longer shows of course but it doesn't answer the bug on showing the correct door swing. 

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 9.32.29 AM.png

Edited by ddix
Add image
  • Like 1