Importing LW Data To Auto-FIll Record Formats (non-instruments)

I am currently working on my Focus Chart file in Vectorworks 2018, and a Mac computer. I have a large number of symbols with a custom record format attached. Each symbol has its own Tab ID. What I want is to have the ability to import my plot information to fill into the record formats. Specifically the Channel, Purpose, Color, Template, and Position. I have done this before via a database on a PC computer but cannot figure out the Mac translation. Ideally I would be able to import from Lightwright, or export from LW into excel, then import from there. 

There must be a way. Would love some guidance. 

• Like 1

You simplest solution would be to set up each focus chart symbol as a Lighting Device and either use Lightwright data exchange or File>Import Instrument Data.  This necessitates keeping a separate file from your plot as well as being very careful about any modifications that would affect LW data (if using data exchange).

If this is a one time merge, you can create a worksheet (Create Report… makes it easy) from your symbols, use Excel to order the data in the same way (or use VLookup), and paste from Excel to the worksheet.  

If you imported data differently on Windows, you probably set up Excel to be an ODBC source, which you cannot do on the Mac.  If you want to do something similar, you can use a SQLite utility to import csv data from LW and then use the SQLite file as a data source in VW.

Otherwise, this needs to be handled with a script.  If you wish to connect data often, this might be a worthwhile investment of time and not too complicated with Python.

• Like 2