Energos - Space Volume is Zero

cxs

I'm doing some testing with Energos to see if we'll be able to use it for our energy assessments, instead of OpenStudio or DOE2 software--we'd really like to use what's already there and keep everything in Vectorworks.

@JimW Are there any new webinars or training videos coming out for Energos in v2018? The latest I can find are for v2016.

When I model a single story restaurant--very basic layout--I get a pop up window that says "The Total Space Volume is zero."

I can't find much about this in the app-help documentation.

(My model uses spaces built from walls; all spaces, walls, doors, slabs, etc.. are included in calculations.)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 6/15/2018 at 6:26 PM, cxs said:

When I model a single story restaurant--very basic layout--I get a pop up window that says "The Total Space Volume is zero."

I can't find much about this in the app-help documentation.

Hello cxs,

Select any of the spaces in the drawing and verify that 'Show 3D' is turned on and the height of the space is set.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

i confirm that you need to create some spaces to calcolate the right way to show in Energos.

Heated Volume Space and dispersing surface are the 2 most important parameters in energetic calculation. So you need to have the right volume

BUT

I'd like to know how can i create a space from a non regular bottom top volume. For Istance: how can i have a specific space under a roof? Can i model a free 3D element and using it like a space?

Sorry for that but if i can't manage a correct volume it's perfectly useless to have a complex (and very cool) tool like Energos, unless i have only perfect linear floor and roof. So you exclude every building over 1000 mt over the sea in the world.

Missed I something? Can i modeling a space? Or adjust it automatically by a roof object? Like a wall?

Schermata 2018-07-22 alle 19.26.37.png

Schermata 2018-07-22 alle 19.26.34.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Zeno,

You could make complex spaces using solids, by attaching the Energos Space record to them and entering the correct data for area/volume in the record (These values could be taken from the menu command Model->Volumetric Properties...). See the attached file.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

CustomSpace.vwx

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello Zeno,

You could make complex spaces using solids, by attaching the Energos Space record to them and entering the correct data for area/volume in the record (These values could be taken from the menu command Model->Volumetric Properties...). See the attached file.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

CustomSpace.vwx

Hello Nikolay,

thank you for explaining me how to convert a solid object to a usable space for energos.. that is the right way to adjust this specific question.

After that.. the space tool with label, and all the the feature vw allows us to use, depending directly from the right volume. I think could be a good implementation, like adjusting wall height, to have a "adjusting space height", or something similar.

Thank you for your responce.

Best regards

• 5 months later...
9 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- Could you send me a test file showing the issue?

Thanks

Will do. I send the file to CAtech@vectorworks.net as well yesterday.. Learned I had to turn on 3D settings for object info palette; but still didn't show up for Energos... Thanks

Edited by hajom