Grass Shader: Square Image Only?

Andy Broomell

Question

I'm trying to create an area rug based on a rectangular image, and I want to add the "grass" effect to it to add some realistic dimensionality. (I swear I remember seeing this done once with the Vectorworks logo, but can't seem to find that example.)

My problem is that whenever I use an image in the grass shader, it "squishes" the image to be square. I don't see any documentation of this limitation in the Help files.

501387517_ScreenShot2018-06-14at8_35_09AM.thumb.png.dadc2bd154ef2886a6dd8caf0dcf92dc.png

So is this working as intended or a bug? Is it impossible to make a rectangular rug? The workaround of course is adding blank areas to either side of the source image to make it work out properly:

rugsquared.thumb.jpg.a48a3a81a5ce2e6a062a3f1e40e07d0b.jpg

2049812998_ScreenShot2018-06-14at9_39_56AM.thumb.png.04cbe9d55d00324a3d91e4b4c30b2300.png

3 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I suspect the grass shader is expecting a square image so that it can be properly tiled. I did this with the VW logo I believe, but that source icon was definitely square. The Image shader accounts for source images of varying dimensions and tiles them accordingly, but some of the other shaders like transparency and grass seem to expect a square source.

21 minutes ago, JimW said:

I suspect the grass shader is expecting a square image so that it can be properly tiled. I did this with the VW logo I believe, but that source icon was definitely square. The Image shader accounts for source images of varying dimensions and tiles them accordingly, but some of the other shaders like transparency and grass seem to expect a square source.

Now that you mention it, I do remember having issues with image-based transparency maps in the absence of an Image-based Color shader.

Is there a technical reason square images are required in certain instances?