Unhide (show) objects

H-E-L-P ... 

I've managed to "hide" an object (right click context menu), and now I want to show it.

As a very new VWX user I've done some reading on how to "show" previously "hidden" objects, and there are a few threads going to great length regarding why you shouldn't "hide" objects in the first instance, and then to go on to talk about layers and classes. but they don't actually answer the question of how to show or "unhide" objects after they've been hidden.

So, can anybody give me an succinct answer of how to show a previously hidden object?

Secondly, if "hiding" objects is so widely considered to be such a bad idea, then why does it appear as a right-click context sensitive option in VWX 2018?

The bizarre thing is that if I bring up the visibility tool and hover over the "hidden" object, it becomes highlighted in red, and a message pops up at the cursor telling which design layer the object is on, and that the layer is visible.  As you would expect, this just ads to the frustration of the situation.

Cheers

John

4 minutes ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

turn all the classes on. Hiding is just temporary.  

Thanks Jonathan,

Yup, I was assuming that "hide" was just for temporarily removing objects from a view when you want to tweak some geometry.  Basically a fast and dirty option for tweaking or checking stuff, that's why I'm so confused at the lack of a simple and straightforward method of revealing the previously hidden object.

I've just checked, and showing all classes doesn't help in this situation ... 😐

This a common problem. Funny it's not mentioned more. I've removed the Hide command from our Office workspace.

The fix is to add "Show Objects" to your workspace, if it isn't already there. (Normally if you right-click in an empty spot in the document, the "Show Objects" command is listed).

Will dig up the Workspace that ships with the initial install(we have our own custom workspace), and post screenshots of doing this (editing workspace), if you need to.

cheers,

Tui

4 hours ago, John_in_NZ said:

Secondly, if "hiding" objects is so widely considered to be such a bad idea, then why does it appear as a right-click context sensitive option in VWX 2018?

I didn't think there were built-in "Hide" and "Show Objects" commands within Vectorworks, at least not in recent years... I thought it was only done via a third-party plug-in/script?

Or is there an international version that has these baked in? Because I don't see them in my program.

4 hours ago, twk said:

Will dig up the Workspace that ships with the initial install(we have our own custom workspace), and post screenshots of doing this (editing workspace), if you need to.

cheers,

Tui

Thanks Tui, 

That would be much appreciated ... 😊

33 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

... Or is there an international version that has these baked in? Because I don't see them in my program.

My VWX 2018 is pretty much an out of the box install with the Australia / New Zealand add-ins ... As a new user, I wouldn't have the first idea about how to modify the workspace, which is why I'm grateful for Tui's offer of assistance ... 😊

That's strange, @John_in_NZ its there in my out-of-the-box workspace. I'm on the Architect version though. 

image.thumb.png.264ac048617f3999528677fb1ed49984.png

Anyhow, onto how to adding a command:

How to add the 'Show All' command to workspace.

1. Edit the current workspace: Tools > Workspaces > Edit Current Workspace..

image.thumb.png.8665b1cb4a06d26a4cf2318e71d6ac64.png

2. Under the Menus tab, expand the 'All Menus' branch.

image.thumb.png.b022de7fa66b127f20870fd6b25368ec.png

3. Now you'll want to scroll down this list until you find the 'Show Objects' command.

image.thumb.png.ef3bcb027558388884ef20e6a7ee4771.png

4. You'll then drag this item across to the right hand side. Prior to that, expand the 'Document Context (right click on document)' branch in that tree. (As you can see, this chunk lists all the commands you can run when you right click on an empty space in a sheet or design layer).

Once thats set, press ok to save your workspace; you can now hide and show objects as you wish.

image.thumb.png.44f91b6d5de522e0ae32d211c49e7e85.png

As I said before, this has actually been removed from our office's workspace as people found it too confusing, as you don't have an option to un-hide specific objects. You can use a script, but that's a hard sell as well in our office. So we've taken the 'Class Everything Properly' route to control the visibility of things.

@Andy Broomell, I have no idea when this was added, or if its in International versions or not. It has been in the AU/NZ workspace since 2014 I think.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Tui

You have that option in AUS/NZ Version !?

That is great !

HIDE/ISOLATE/UNHIDE ALL on an Object Base is an essential Visibility Control

Feature in Bricscad or Modo. I use it all the time.

If I got that correct VW had had such Mode in the long past.

It is either hidden in Workspace or no more available at all by UI.

But still working and accessible only by Vectorscript.

I think I should switch to the AUS/NZ Version.

Windows are much better either.

But that may mean to move over physically 😉

13 hours ago, twk said:

That's strange, @John_in_NZ its there in my out-of-the-box workspace. I'm on the Architect version though. 

Cheers,

Tui

I must be going mad, senile, blind or stoopid, or possibly a combination of all of them!  Whatever the case may be, I am extremely embarrassed to admit that I've found the "Show Objects" option, and it's exactly where Tui suggested it should be.

As I said, I'm still very new to VWX, after 3 decades of acad, and 2 years of purgatory with AutoDesk's BIM offering (I can't bring myself to mention it by name), so I'm still trying to come to terms with the way that VWX is structured (how the software does what it does, rather than just learning commands parrot fashion).

The only thing I can think of for not being able to find the "Show Objects" is that it is only displayed when no objects are selected, and I may have inadvertently had an object selected when I was trying to find the option.  That, and the toys being thrown out of the pram due to the frustration of not being fully conversant with VWX ... 😉

Anyway, A big big thank you to Tui for explaining how to edit the workspace, which I'm sure will come in very useful, once I'm a little more experienced with VWX.  Also thanks for the suggestions that everyone else has offered.

Right, I'm off to hide in a dark corner until my extremely red faced embarrassment subsides ... 😊