Fixtures stop working at certain addresses

Occasionally a light will not respond correctly or not at all. Currently I am experiencing this issue with one Mythos in a rig of 16. I occasionally lose control of the zoom. The way I have fixed it is by changing the address of the fixture in Vision and on the console.

I have tried many things below to try and figure out what is going on and none have fixed the issue:

- Tried it on two different consoles (MA2 and Chamsys) to confirm that the issue isn't the console

- Have re-Sent to Vision from VW

- Have deleted the fixture in VW and replaced with same fixture, same address etc and re-Sent to Vision

- Have tried different fixture modes in VW and on the console, re-Sent to Vision

- Copied a working fixture, changed the address and re-Sent to Vision

It is only when I change the address within Vision or VW and also on the console that it begins to work. This may happen a few more times over the following days, each time it is the same light and I have to choose an address I haven't used before. If I go back to one of the original addresses (that stopped working) it simply doesn't work, either doesn't zoom or doesn't come up at all. I have confirmed there is no clashes in addresses.

A similar issue has happened with a GLP X4 Wash where it wasn't outputting blue, the other 3 were. I checked all the things above, different console, fixture modes, deleted the fixture and replaced it, copied a working one, even address a working one to the non working address- the working one worked on that address but the non working one didn't.

It seems that certain fixtures at certain addresses get tainted so they can't be used any more.

Edited by DBLD
  • Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This is a VERY detailed write up. Thank you very much for you investigations into this issue. We have had similar reports in the past, but never with this level of information. Hopefully with this added knowledge, we'll be able to tackle this issue once and for all.

I'd love it if you could post your files and any additional information you may have such as what specific universes/addresses are hosed and the unit number of the fixture your having problems with in your file. It may also be beneficial to contact technical support and have them open a ticket for you if you don't have the ability to create one yourself in JIRA.

You can email me directly at bbudzon@vectorworks.net 🙂 Thanks again for your report, gives us a better starting point!

Just to reiterate my point, the more details you can give us about this file the better. What fixture was breaking? What was it's unit number? What are some of the DMX Addresses Vision has "burned"?

• 3 months later...

Hey Dan,

We found a pretty serious bug in DMX just before SP0 release and were able to get a fix into the initial build. Have you had a chance to test Vision 2019 SP0 to see if this issue still exists? It may require a new file as the bug may have been stored off in the v3s (the esc should be ok).

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 5:32 PM, bbudzon said:

Hey Dan,

We found a pretty serious bug in DMX just before SP0 release and were able to get a fix into the initial build. Have you had a chance to test Vision 2019 SP0 to see if this issue still exists? It may require a new file as the bug may have been stored off in the v3s (the esc should be ok).

I just just ran into this bug again in Vision 2019 SP2 Beta 2

Running Vision a few hours before Mac Viper Performance's got their animation wheel stuck. Added to JIRA VB-155153

• Like 1

@LJ TMSI recently ran into a possibly similar issue with a GLP GT-1, where clearing the console wouldn’t reset the animation wheel back to open, but after a while of playing I was able to rotate it so that it stopped in the open part of the wheel.

This issue was distinctly different to the original issue I experienced in this post. 

• Like 1

Yea there's definitely a few different DMX oddities going on. Just a little more info...

With the stuck animation wheel on the Mac Viper Performances, all (20) fixtures exhibited the behavior that wasn't there when we started the session. Restarted Vision and loaded the saved v3s and issue still there. Restarted and loaded the esc and the issue was gone.

I took the esc & v3s files to my 2nd computer and loaded each in Vision and verified that that both behaved the same as the 1st computer (stuck animation wheel saved with the v3s, no problem with the esc). I was pretty happy because I had something reproducible to send you guys.

Earlier in the day, about 10 (out of 50) of our Mac Quantum Wash fixtures got their color wheels stuck in various color positions. But a restart of Vision fixed the issue. I hate those because I have no idea how to reproduce the bug and open a JIRA ticket for it.

• Like 1