Problems Publishing

MartinFahrer

Question

Anyone else come across this problem in VWorks 2018?  When I published from a file to PDF (No not exporting to PDF, don't have the tiem and already have a naming set up for multiple sheets)  I get an error I can't access the folder created, and can't even delete the folder or file (see image provided).  Then yesterday it says x sheets published but when the folder opened it was blank. 

It's not every VWorks drawing just a particular one.  I had one that was a problem then it mysteriously started working.  

I have contacted tech support and they are working on it.  I just thouhgt I would reach out t the hive mind and see if I am alone.

Thanks (See sig for computer specs, I'm on the laptop)1581061775_VWfolderError.thumb.JPG.dbbb72e12aeb7ace1183e54ce2bc1e32.JPGError.thumb.JPG.fd591709c763945fecb234940db48b2e.JPG

8 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

I think the problem is probably the slashes in the dates. Try using dashes instead. In many operating systems the slashes are used to identify different directories/folders, so VW or the operating system is probably seeing them as directory separators, not date separators.

The back slashes are common in showing separate folders.  The "date created" is not part of the folder or file name but the computer telling me the date created.  The date in the folder and name are all seperated by "-"

See image included

folder.JPG

folder2.JPG

41 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Whatever you say, but since you say this is intermittent, it seems like this could be a problem caused by less experienced users.  This one below looks to me like it has a slash in the file name and is trying to create a new folder.  Look right before 101_barba...

image.thumb.png.3fb4dfe0c4f58dec0c72fa5f0eb64eff.png

That's why I included the actual file name above.  the / is common way computers show different folder harkening back to the days of dos. 

The Folder is :  

"101_Quater inch Spotting Plan_VWX MDF_06-6-2018"  - note no back slashes

The file name is:

"101_BARBARY LANE_01-1 Spotting Plan_6-6-18-MDF RELEASED.pdf

Recently I don't even get invalid it just doesn't save.  Going to see what happens with it on my desktop.

As I have said before I renamed file folder and publish to test and still have gotten the same results.  The file has gone to VW support staff, they even said the file name was fine.

Well I sent it to Kevin Lee Allen, ant he could save and publish to his computer with the file using the exact name I did, so it must not be the name or file but maybe Vectorworks on my computer?

Also I opened the file on my desktop at home, could publish PDF no problem.  Overwrote the bad file on Drop box, and it publishes fine now on my lap top.  (The vwx file name, the published folder name and the saved name for the PDF did NOT change).  Interesting.  HAsn't happened to me before and I always publish.  This is like the 5th or 6th show I exclusivly publish to PDF.

Hmmmmmm

Edited by MartinFahrer

FYI still happening, Tech support is even stumped.  
I was on the line with them and they tried publishing through "log me in" and same thing happened.  They confirmed what I already knew through experience, it wasn't how I  named my files.

IF anyone else is having this issue please ppst.  This was on a new drawing I was doing, limited sheets etc.