Max Le Creurer

Placement of doors in split level design

Hello,

I am still in the discovery phase of how everything works in VW... But I already ran into the first issue no forum or tutorial could help me with so far...

I am working on a small residential building that will involve split levels.

So far I have created stories every 1500 mm (the front of the building has numbers 0, 1, 2, etc... with heights of 0, 3000, 6000, etc... and the back has numbers 0+, 1+, 2+, etc... with heights 1500, 4500, 7500, etc...)

I have created wall on the levels 1 and 2, and a slab at the back of that wall on level 1+.

Now comes the tricky part: I need a door (eventually more than one) that is situated on level 1+ through both walls (level 1 and 2), but as it is now, the door appears but doesn't "cut" the wall.

Should I draw the wall in between the split levels on the 1+ level then? Or just draw it on the ground floor and have it go up in one piece up until the roof?

The screenshot shows the idea, you can see three slabs at levels 1 and 2 on the left and 1+ on the right, and the two walls on top of each other drawn on the same levels.

The door is selected, at the moment drawn on level 1+.

Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 17.11.16.png

Normally you would insert a second Door in the upper* Wall in

"opening only" mode to cut the second Wall.

*Depends in where you "cut" your Floor Plan and on which

Layer you want to see the original Door.

Well, I guess I mostly want to see it at the 1+ level, and then in a section later on...

but if I place the initial door at 1+ and set the 1+ layer’s visibility as grey, it will be “visible” from the level 2 won’t it?

Wouldn't you have to gray the Layer above ?

Have never tried ....

I would not set up the file the way you have. If I wanted the top floor and the intermediate floor to be shown at the same time, I would have put them both on the same layer, then set the bottom of the intermediate walls to the correct elevation. 

doors and windows can only fit into one wall at a time, so you need to keep the walls together. 

this discussion might help:

http://learn.archoncad.com/2013/07/13794/stories-with-vectorworks/