Better backup options - no geometry stripping

timtimtimtim

Question

I have my files automatically making backups every 5 minutes, but when the drawing crashes and I attempt to open one it just regenerates the stripped 3D geometry before ultimately crashing again. Most of my backups become completely useless. It would be great to have an option that would save a backup of the complete file without stripping the geometry. Yes, I could set it to overwrite the original, but I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket for obvious reasons.

• Like 2

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, timtimtimtim said:

I have my files automatically making backups every 5 minutes, but when the drawing crashes and I attempt to open one it just regenerates the stripped 3D geometry before ultimately crashing again. Most of my backups become completely useless. It would be great to have an option that would save a backup of the complete file without stripping the geometry. Yes, I could set it to overwrite the original, but I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket for obvious reasons.

Maybe create a VS script which deploys the menu function "Save a Copy…", keeps original name and appends date+time or simple iterative number to filename and pops it into a specified folder?

Maybe this could be part of the long wished for ability for VW to restart and only the back up file when it crashes.

They could also use this to background saving and allow the app to become active again faster when there is great distance between machine and server by way of a copy on write system instead of a save system.

• Like 1

If you are on Windows you could try a file syncing or backup program that can use Volume Shadow Copy Service. This will create a snapshot of the file as it is at the moment the copy/backup starts and should keep the geometry intact. That way you could have a copy/backup of the file in a different directory every x minutes.

I'm using ViceVersa Pro to have automatic backups every x hour(s) of my working folders to an external drive so that I don't lose too much work in case the PC crashes. Because it supports versioning it can keep multiple versions of the file instead of simply overwriting and older copy with the current copy, so it might do what you are looking for.

I'm sure there is something similar available on the Mac (if you are not using TimeMachine)

Edited by Art V