v.10.1 slows to a crawl...

I've just returned to design work with V 10.1 after a prolonged period of field work, and I am once again facing the same frustrations I'd ecperienced previously. Namely, V10.1 turns into a turtle after I insert plant symbols and/or if I add some vegetation lines. For instance, I am currently working on a reasonably simple drawing that has approximately 250 plant symbols. Working with this file is now an aggravating experience; selecting an object takes several seconds for the handles to appear, and a couple more seconds for data to appear in the object info palette. If I make the mistake of running the cursor over the plants, it can take up to 10 to 15 seconds for me to regain control of the cursor (which starts to click and bounce from one symbol to the next). I've tried to turn of the plant classes and layers with plants, but it makes no difference.

In a similar vein, I am currently in the process of setting up a new basemap drawing. There are only 15 or 20 objects in the drawing, and all was fine until I inserted a vegetation line to represent the edge of a forest that bounds the site. Now, as a result, the program has slowed dramatically.

This has become such a problem that I have had to go back to V8.5 to draw more effectively and quickly.

Is this a hardware issue? I am running V10.1 on Windows 98, a Pentium III, 500mhz, 640 mgs ram with an 18 Gig hard drive. Please advise.

Although I do detect a slight improvement with V10.1.2, I am still finding the going very slow on drawings with more than say 100 plant symbols, or if I have set up some vegetation lines. This is a serious problem, as I work on estate property designs where there can be thousands of plants to specify.

I guess I have to return to my original question. Is this a hardware problem (Win 98, 640 Meg, Pentium 3, 500mhz)?