Snap to midpoint question

I use a display tablet, Huion to be specific, but I also had the issue with using a mouse or a Wacom tablet.  Anytime I have two corner points and a center point close together its a fight  snap to the center point.  It feels like the default setting is snap to a corner than the center.  I do a lot of center point snapping.  Is there any way to adjust the snapping sensitivity to default to center before other points.  The only way I have found to work around this is to zoom in really close, and that waste motion and time.

No sure if I am the only one finding this frustrating or not, so I thought I would put it out there to the hive mind.

Thanks

Martin

try adjusting cursor acquisition box size in VW preferences, that help me with being able to easier select "midpoint" etc.  However, in general there is a problem with selecting, hints etc, its not working as well as it used to.

• Like 1

however: I am always in click and drag mode and when I roll over a deselected object it shows mid or center, once selected it does not, second thing, when dragging an object by whatever point to snap to center the cursor will not show spell out any acquisition points, it will just highlight them which depending on zoom may not work.  

19 hours ago, TKA said:

however: I am always in click and drag mode and when I roll over a deselected object it shows mid or center, once selected it does not, second thing, when dragging an object by whatever point to snap to center the cursor will not show spell out any acquisition points, it will just highlight them which depending on zoom may not work.  

@TKA hmm, not sure I completely understand your issue but the text hints (SmartCursor Cues) can be toggled off and on with the "Y" key (some times inadvertantly!) or can also be selected from the same menu in my earlier post but under "General". Otherwise I am unable to experience the problem you described.

I see you use VW 2014 but do not recall if there was some issue with it that was resolved on later versions.

I made some screen shots to illustrate the issue, there are 3 screen shots:

1. cursor indicated middle of the first object

2. cursor indicates corner of the second object

3. second object is forced dragged horizontally to align right above the middle of the first object, there is no indication that it is picking up the middle of the first object.

Now when this happens in midst of regular drawing with many object it is not possible to know what I am aligning too.

Hopefully there is a magic fix for that.849999006_ScreenShot2018-06-08at6_16_11PM.thumb.png.1a300af34c15a0205d54ef2cc7d613dd.png887086740_ScreenShot2018-06-08at6_16_19PM.thumb.png.928ac89d04d4ad4bff54da878be2fb10.png2031783874_ScreenShot2018-06-08at6_16_27PM.thumb.png.047b1d281089b19250d340bb393d9bca.png

I would also like a really fixed 1-Axis Lock by SHIFT.

But that will fail when you need to snap more far to the side than

in direction of wanted movement.

You have to keep your cursor over the mid point of the lower object

for a few seconds until the red cursor hint appears.

(Then it will create guide lines)

Then go back again to your a location of upper objects horizontal move path

so that a guide line for horizontal movements appears.

Now move along X axis towards the lower objects midpoint and a second

vertical guideline from there will appear, which offers a potential snapping point

where guidelines intersect.

(I think there was even a setting that these guide lines appear without the need

of waiting for a cursor hint, but off by default because being to messy most times)

Also You could go up 1st or left from 2nd snap point and Press "T" key when you

hover your guide line. This will lock movement in this axis direction,

so you can snapp directly to a point although being off sideways from a locked guide.

Sorry, listed step by step that way may look very complicated.

But in fact it is very easy and intuitive once you get it.

I think @JimW did also nice Videos about snapping that might be easier to consume

than my text walls.

Edited by zoomer