Switching Documents Broken - Windows

twhitwell6

Question

Switching between documents is now broken.  If you go to Window - and select a different document - the view will change - but the navigation will not update and all the tasks happen in the original document.  Nothing seems to be happening until you switch back to the original document and its all happened there. If you select the windows tab, the tick remains by the originial document never mind if you switch between several other documents.  The only fix I have found is to close all the documents.  VW itself does not need to close.  'ctrl + tab' or 'alt + tab' dont seem to work either.

It goes without saying that this is a huge problem and is incredibly frustrating when working on several documents. 

• Like 1

13 answers to this question

You mean one document is still docked in the VW Ui while the other file appears

as a second Window without any palettes when switching ?

I have not found a way to prevent this with any of the docking settings available.

I think it happens when you accidentally drag your cursor a bit when switching to

another file TAB.

I also did not find another workaround than trying to close and reopen effected files

or closing the whole App.

Hi @zoomer

The other files dont appear as a second window. There will be say 3/4 tabs at the top, however the latest file opened will stay docked even if I try and switch between them. The only way I have managed has been to close the other files and re-open them, which unfortunately is a slow and painful process. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
54 minutes ago, twhitwell6 said:

The other files dont appear as a second window. There will be say 3/4 tabs at the top, however the latest file opened will stay docked even if I try and switch between them. The only way I have managed has been to close the other files and re-open them, which unfortunately is a slow and painful process. 

I am not able to replicate this here, Windows 10 using Vectorworks 2018 SP3 or an earlier SP? Does this happen with any set of documents open or only specific files? How many files are you having to open before this happens?

This happens to me as well. It's unpredictable, but seems to happen most often after a number of complex operations. Replacing a bunch of symbols, mass updating records, that sort of thing. As BG said, the solution is to close Vectorworks and re-open. 2018 SP3, Windows 10.

I think there is a new problem with switching between files or the palette docking system.

I had that from time to time before but not a larger problem.

But now my docked palettes do what they want and it is even starting again that VW

does no more keep the last VW Window size.

Maybe my Workspace got corrupt again (by switching file tabs ?)

And as there were no ne SPs,

maybe it was caused by one of the last macOS Updates.

I see this frequently - if I open a second tab, do some work in that tab, and then try to jump back to the first tab, it'll show where I left off on the first tab but any navigation, etc will mysteriously occur on tab 2.  I always figured it must be a Windows-specific problem...?

I've noticed it throughout VW 2018 (I'm currently up to date), and I'm fairly certain that I experienced the same issue on '17.  

I also have this problem, running VW 2017, SP5, on Windows 11. If I have multiple files open, e.g. to copy something from one drawing to another, after navigating to the second file to copy the item, I then cannot navigate back to the original file without first closing the second one I opened. Very frustrating, but it's not as if I expect it's something that Vectoworks will ever fix.