Vertical Grab Bars - Toilet Stall Tool

cberg

Question

The toilet stall tool is almost perfect. 

Would somebody be able to add a vertical grab bar to the list of options?  Every ADA toilet in the US is required to have one.  This seems like the perfect project that a coder geek could churn out over a weekend!  

It would also be great if you could specify the grab bar lengths and offsets.  But this may be pushing it the request too far.  

Or.... IF this is too difficult to implement, why not ditch the grab bars in the toilet stall and make a parametric grab bar object.  One could position and rotate this object in any way they desire.  It would make them more flexible for other uses.  Shower stalls, or wherever you need to get a grip. :-)

Thanks for considering this request!

ANSIgrabbars1.thumb.gif.164ec5b31a883546c15893ac25b01844.gif622750319_ScreenShot2018-06-02at8_02_19AM.thumb.png.afd1fcf38059456a26bb3c20cf203361.png

Edited by cberg
  • Like 1

5 answers to this question

I thought I had wish listed this some time ago. Anywho you're 100%  correct in your suggestions. Here in Canada the AODA (2005!) has made L shaped Grab Bars mandatory. I add a circle to the plan & I have a symbol that I use for the elevation details so I only rely on the PIO for the plan.

On 6/2/2018 at 5:07 AM, cberg said:

Every ADA toilet in the US is required to have one. 

I’m not certain about this. To the best of my knowledge & experience (within California), vertical grab bars are not a requirement in California as of 2016 CBC.

I believe that vertical grab bars are referenced in ICC/ANSI A117.1 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities (which is referenced by IBC and other U.S. building codes), so it may be interpreted as being ‘required’ by local jurisdictions but I don’t believe it is an ADA requirement. 

Regardless, it should be added as an Vw option since at some point it will most likely become a requirement.

Edited by rDesign

Re-upping this request. The Ontario Building Code & the National Building Code of Canada has required an L shaped Grab bars for several years now. Also, an Ambulatory Water Closet Stall requires grab bars on either side of a Toilet, & ofter we include one that is a folding grab bar.

Some tools need to have some flexibility built in, as building codes are  alway evolving.

Edited by Jim Smith
  • Like 2