gman19

Vectorworks 2018 really laggy.

Question

Hello,

My team and I work for a large corporation. We have used Vectorworks 2012, 15, 16, 17 and now 18. In the Versions 12 through 17 we used HP Laptops with i5-6300 CPU @ 2.40 GHz, 8GB of Ram on a 64 bit OS. Win 7.

We now use 2018 on a HP laptop i7 6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 16 GB of Ram 64-bit OS x64 based Processor and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M seperate Graphics card. 

In Vectorworks Preferences we have changed the Navigation Graphics to  Good performance and Compatibility. 

Unchecked Anti-aliasing

We do not use 3D or do anything complex we have our own symbols and our Drawings/CADs sizes are 38000 KBs and lower. 

The issue is that no matter the size of the CAD its very Laggy. We switched to the new Laptops with separate graphics card and 16 GB of RAM. We switched cause 17 and 18 made the smaller HP crash consistently. We no longer crash but the performance is laggy and terrible. 

Can someone fix this or has had the same problem. Could our network be throttled although they say they are not throttling us? No one in out IT departments knows how to fix it but its not used by anyone accept 5 of us. 

At the point of going back to 2016. 

Thanks,   

6 answers to this question

Do you see the same lag when working on a file that is saved to the local desktop? (This is just to remove any networking concerns as a test)

9 hours ago, gman19 said:

We do not use 3D or do anything complex we have our own symbols and our Drawings/CADs sizes are 38000 KBs and lower. 

38 MB files are not that big from a VW perspective given all the information that gets stored. Are you perhaps using files that got created in VW 2016 or older? Do you experience the same or less lag with files started in VW2017/2018?

In my experience the lag is worse in files created in versions before VW2017 than with files started in VW2017/2018. In my case VW2016 is way more responsive with certain things where VW2017/2018 are quite laggy.

Are you using imported DWG files?

Jim, just for your info, all my working files are on the desktop so no network slowdown here.

15 hours ago, gman19 said:

In Vectorworks Preferences we have changed the Navigation Graphics to  Good performance and Compatibility. 

Why ?

As far as I know this deactivates 2D View acceleration by GPU.

We switched that down in earlier versions only when we had visibility problems

of objects not showing. Which meanwhile seems to be solved.

Also it is important to assign VW to the stronger NVidia Card in Windows

(Energy Saving ?) Settings and use a suitable current GPU driver from the GPU

vendor, not only the one delivered from Windows update.

Edited by zoomer

Do you see the same lag when working on a file that is saved to the local desktop? (This is just to remove any networking concerns as a test).

Hi Jim. I tried our largest file from the desktop and that seemed to work fine. Today I'm working on the second largest file we have and it is extremely laggy and annoying. The response time for selecting and moving objects is a few seconds. 

38 MB files are not that big from a VW perspective given all the information that gets stored. Are you perhaps using files that got created in VW 2016 or older? Do you experience the same or less lag with files started in VW2017/2018?

In my experience the lag is worse in files created in versions before VW2017 than with files started in VW2017/2018. In my case VW2016 is way more responsive with certain things where VW2017/2018 are quite laggy.

On 6/1/2018 at 12:34 AM, Art V said:

Jim, just for your info, all my working files are on the desktop so no network slowdown here.

On 5/31/2018 at 3:03 PM, JimW said:

Do you see the same lag when working on a file that is saved to the local desktop? (This is just to remove any networking concerns as a test)

Hello Art. YES. some of our files were created with VW 2012 , 2016 , 2017, up to 18. And yes we will import files as well. We had no issue till we switched to 18. we needed new computers cause 18 would crash every time.

On 6/1/2018 at 6:44 AM, zoomer said:

Why ?

As far as I know this deactivates 2D View acceleration by GPU.

We switched that down in earlier versions only when we had visibility problems

of objects not showing. Which meanwhile seems to be solved.

Also it is important to assign VW to the stronger NVidia Card in Windows

(Energy Saving ?) Settings and use a suitable current GPU driver from the GPU

vendor, not only the one delivered from Windows update.

GPU? From NVidia? We were told buy our VW support person to try the Navigation Graphics mode. We use VW an hour a day sometimes more or less. 

THank you all for your help. 

Does the problem persist with every file?  Some items will seriously bog down a file: imported sketchup, meshes, dwgs, etc.  I used to go back through my files and delete things systematically until the file seemed to "perk up" and then see what the culprit was.

With regard to laptops and their discrete graphics cards, I recommend running VW as an administrator, and if you can, adding VW to the list of programs that are forced to use the dedicated graphics card.  I find that the O.S. or the motherboard or whatever is making that switch is usually not inclined to do so.  

I, too, have only experienced extreme lag and frustration while using VW 2018.

I learned Vectorworks on 2017 while working for a firm that used iMacs.  Now I am on my own and purchased two years ago a license of VW 2018 to use on my 2018 MacBook Pro.  I can assure you it has been nothing but painful.

The SP3 update helped alleviate some issues – mainly the freezing software whenever I would edit a text box.  However, there is still a very noticeable lag between any command, which includes panning!  I'll get a spinning beach ball when I want to adjust the dimensions of a rectangle, which lasts as long as 30 seconds.  I wish there was a cure-all fix, but nothing has happened in the past two years.  Can someone confirm whether 2019 or 2020 have solved these issues?  The last thing I want to do is give up on the program and let my knowledge of VW go by the wayside.