Backup Files Exclusion

Does Vectorworks have a different extension for the auto-save & backup files? I am trying to exclude them from them being uploaded to our cloud service fro our local NAS / Server. It just throttles bandwidth uploading and downloading all the time. This would be easier than sending backup copies to the client machine.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

We sometimes use .lck and .vwbackup, however be very careful with attempting to block those files if you have users working with their associated .vwx files on those server locations, as tampering with them in that scenario could create significant instability.

The the cloud upload is just a backup, then it should be safe to exclude those other file types.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, JimW said:

We sometimes use .lck and .vwbackup, however be very careful with attempting to block those files if you have users working with their associated .vwx files on those server locations, as tampering with them in that scenario could create significant instability.

The the cloud upload is just a backup, then it should be safe to exclude those other file types.

Thanks JimW

By saying 'we sometimes use' - is that something we setup on our end? Here's an example of the file issue I am seeing as we started using cloud services recently... you could imagine not good for company bandwidth.

180525 Faxon-Backup-20180525174441.vwx DELETE
> Tali Litpon | May 29, 2018 8:55 AM
> 180525 Faxon-Backup-20180529085452.vwx DELETE
> Tali Litpon | May 29, 2018 9:00 AM
> 180525 Faxon-Backup-20180529085452.vwx ADD
> Tali Litpon | May 29, 2018 8:57 AM
> 180525 Faxon-Backup-20180529085959.vwx DELETE
> Tali Litpon | May 29, 2018 9:06 AM
> 180525 Faxon-Backup-20180529085959.vwx ADD
> Tali Litpon | May 29, 2018 9:01 AM
> 180525 Faxon-Backup-20180529090520.vwx DELETE
> Tali Litpon | May 29, 2018 9:11 AM
> 180525 Faxon-Backup-20180529090520.vwx ADD
> Tali Litpon | May 29, 2018 9:07 AM
> 180525 Faxon-Backup-20180529091040.vwx DELETE

7 minutes ago, Jason Liske said:

By saying 'we sometimes use' - is that something we setup on our end?

Apologies, I mean  "Vectorworks sometimes creates" but there are a number of variables that would make these files appear or not appear. Users do not have full control over this. It can be limited by disabling autosave but I don't ever recommend doing that.

It is most likely a result of Autosave, yes. If those are the issue (I think I misunderstood your original question, apologies), then likely going to Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Autosave and setting "Autosave a backup copy to..." to a custom location, and set that to a local location as you suggest that isn't being monitored for cloud sync would do the trick.

I faced the same issue, I have all VW backups saved to a different drive (with project folders structure) and that drive is set to back up @ night, I have this set up for the last 5 years and it works perfect for a 5 people office.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

This issue has been raising its head in our network, now it is a constant issue. Using VW 2019 5.1 and users continually get the .bak and .vtmp files and other associated network issues. They have had this for months through all the 2019 versions. 
To be honest it is a massive pain everyday for me and the user. Tech Support really need to do more to solve this. I will need to log a call first thing tomorrow when I am back in the office.