Greenhorn seeking a simple answer VW2018 Landmark

caryme

Question

I am a landscape designer who has been hand drawing my plans for 35 years. in the past, I have purchased VW2008, 2011 and and most recently 2018 Landmark. I have taken intensive training in 2008 but without someone to consult with, one step keeps me from getting anywhere with CAD. All I am trying to do is import a PDF file of a hand drawn project so I can begin to get comfortable with how to vectorize the linework once created by hand. Can anyone please help me?

Austin 98%Landscape.pdf

Edited by caryme
typo

5 answers to this question

In my template file, I have several Design Layers always ready. The 'bottom' layer I call trace and I use that layer to import files I need to, well, trace. I this instance I would go to File>Import>Import PDF. 

I do not see anything in your PDF that I can scale, so first I might hand draw something in there that I could scale. Fir this reason, I always suggest adding a Scale Bar object in any Sheet Layer Viewport I might export.

Once you have something you know the dimension of in your file (you may have a known dimension, possibly the bottom boundary of the site), select the PDF and go to Modify>Scale Objects. Select the second  option to scale by distance. Click on the Dimension line next to the Current Distance data field and that will return you to the PDF. Draw a line across the distance you know, release and that will return you to the Dialog. Enter the proper distance in the second stat field, make sure that "entire drawing" is not checked and click OK.

There are some occasions where you will want to scale all, but be aware of the option.

Then on a new design layer above the Trace Layer begin to work. I generally work in the "Show/Snap" others mode. How you structure your Design Layers will depend on your workflow, I work in entertainment, so I have each now file with Scenic, lighting, sound layers and add as needed to isolate objects.

If the PDF was a vector based document, you can "ungroup" and access some of the internal line work, that can be very valuable.

In any event, this should get you started.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Kevin Allen said:

In my template file, I have several Design Layers always ready. The 'bottom' layer I call trace and I use that layer to import files I need to, well, trace. I this instance I would go to File>Import>Import PDF. 

I do not see anything in your PDF that I can scale, so first I might hand draw something in there that I could scale. Fir this reason, I always suggest adding a Scale Bar object in any Sheet Layer Viewport I might export.

Once you have something you know the dimension of in your file (you may have a known dimension, possibly the bottom boundary of the site), select the PDF and go to Modify>Scale Objects. Select the second  option to scale by distance. Click on the Dimension line next to the Current Distance data field and that will return you to the PDF. Draw a line across the distance you know, release and that will return you to the Dialog. Enter the proper distance in the second stat field, make sure that "entire drawing" is not checked and click OK.

There are some occasions where you will want to scale all, but be aware of the option.

Then on a new design layer above the Trace Layer begin to work. I generally work in the "Show/Snap" others mode. How you structure your Design Layers will depend on your workflow, I work in entertainment, so I have each now file with Scenic, lighting, sound layers and add as needed to isolate objects.

If the PDF was a vector based document, you can "ungroup" and access some of the internal line work, that can be very valuable.

In any event, this should get you started.

One other thing: if the PDF is vector-based, you should be able in the PDF's OIP click "snap to geometry' which can make things much easier.

If I remember correct,

VW has vectorization option to convert PDF, or at least image files,

like you can do in 2D Vector Apps like Corel Draw or Illustrator.

And I think I have seen a Video by @JimW in the past.

But I don't find any Tools in my UI.

Generally you can't expect too much from such an automatic conversion.

The geometry will get unnecessary complex - but you can snap to it.

The final work geometry should better be created new with VW tools

by drawing over your underlay.

But generally PDF underlays, Raster or Vector,are very useful.

But I always deactivate PDF snapping and force Grid Snap instead to get

accurate dimensions and locations..

EDIT :

It is under "Edit > Trace Bitmap"

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2017/eng/VW2017_Guide/Import/Tracing_Bitmaps.htm

So you have to convert the PDF to a Bitmap first.

You can Export an Image File from a PDF in Apple's Preview.

But start the export from a miniature in the sidebar - to get the full resolution.

Here is another online option to convert images to vectors :

https://vectormagic.com

Edited by zoomer
2 hours ago, zoomer said:

VW has vectorization option to convert PDF, or at least image files

You got there before me Zoomer.

I've occasionally done this (the Vectorworks option) and, some tweaking required, the results have ranged from utterly useless to amazingly helpful. So its definitely worth having a look at and if not this project, keep it in mind for others.

17 hours ago, Kevin Allen said:

you may have a known dimension

Always worth taking some check dims off 'something solid!!' - The house would be my choice. This will give you a pretty sure base scale object.

As an aside - when you have a PDF that has some ares that are not needed, double click it and you can mark off a Crop Area.

1252562691_ScreenShot2018-05-28at12_16_55.thumb.png.a6fa55c43a2c3a76d1091c9f1e88cc4f.png

Exiting the crop window....

926193562_ScreenShot2018-05-28at12_17_15.thumb.png.318b4a402973266b097929334272b7f4.png

Crop only allows one shape, but (as an alternative) you can create a shape with a clipped centre (or other difficult shape) to provide the correct crop for what you want. Can be really useful. The reverse..

1177364547_ScreenShot2018-05-28at12_26_57.thumb.png.9d9b7c867b3106053938a324d788e989.png

Also worth using the technology available on the net for projects.

Find the plot on google maps and copy/paste it in as an underlayer to help position/relate things. You can crop photos the same way as above!