Previews when importing a PDF with multiple pages

Kevin McAllister

Question

7 answers to this question

Whilst we are on the subject of importing PDFs with multiple pages into VW ... may I ask if anyone else has also this problem I am experiencing also?

When importing a multi-page PDF file into VW, then the program completely slows down and re-generates the Design Layer page over and over again.

So I have to wait until I can simply move across the page or work with any tool on very simple tasks.

Yes, importing PDFs can slow down VW quite a bit, the more PDF pages you import the slower it usually gets. Though this does depend on how much content there is on the PDF page.

One thing I usually do when importing line drawings (e.g. PDFs generated from CAD software for which the native file is not available anymore) is to convert them to DWG using a PDF utility, e.g. PDF2CAD or PDF Fly (the latter is what I use, see https://visual-integrity.com/ for more info). This often works better than inserting a PDF as it does not cause the slowdown that PDF can do, though again it depends on the contents of the PDF but even then a slowdown will be less than when using a PDF.

• Like 1

Hi @Art V

thanks for the tip.

Usually, when I need the native file from a PDF I place the PDF file into Adobe Illustrator and export it to DWG.

Maybe yours is a better solution though so I'll definitely look into your link provided.

Also I never really figured out what the Settings --> VW Preferences --> Display --> Navigation Graphics is for.

I use 'Good Performance & Compatibility'. Maybe changing the setting would help.

I am a landscape designer who has been hand drawing my plans for 35 years. in the past, I have purchased VW2008, 2011 and and most recently 2018 Landmark. I have taken intensive training in 2008 but without someone to consult with, one step keeps me from getting anywhere with CAD. All I am trying to do is import a PDF file of a hand drawn project so I can begin to get comfortable with how to vectorize the lifework once created by hand. Can anyone please help me?

Austin 98%Landscape.pdf