ConWin

VW2018 - Undo causes file to revert to older save

Question

For an unknown reason, the backsave function stops at a certain point. As I continue to work I don't realize that my file has stopped backsaving every 10 minutes. Randomly when I hit "undo" the file reverts to the point when the latest backsave was made. This has happened twice now and it has caused me to lose hours of work.

7 answers to this question

Are you using Vectorworks 2018 SP3 or one of the earlier updates? Do you happen to use any of the Vectorbits third party plugins?

I just updated to SP3. If the problem persists I will respond. Thank you

You may want to take a quick glance at the lower right corner when you notice a sudden slowdown, as autosave can cause a slowdown in larger drawings and that way you could check if the autosave is still working if the notification is showing.

Even though I do have the automatic backups set to 15 minutes and allow for quite a large number of backups to be kept I usually do a manual save before making major/complex edits in case something goes wrong because I don't want to guess whether the autosave did catch the last few changes before the major change.

Even then I do a manual save from time to time, e.g. when leaving the computer for a few minutes, switching to another program, or just every hour, out of habit from the AutoCAD days where the autosave would not always work either.

Edited by Art V
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Art V said:

I usually do a manual save before making major/complex edits in case something goes wrong

^ This is very good advice.

KM

CMD + S after every major change, at the minimum.

W/ re Autosave, I keep the latest 20 or so files, then every week go through and delete half or more of those from the VW backup folder.

Ouch. Feeling your pain.