Covert VW17 Sheet Border to VW18 Sheet Border

Matt Leak

Question

So, here's our issue...

Our title blocks/sheet borders in VW17 have a field for the Sheet Title.  Because VW17 record formats do not support text wrapping in a text field, we set it up in VW17 to allow for a carriage return in order to get multiple lines of text in the Sheet Title.

When we convert these to VW18 Sheet Borders, anything typed after the carriage return in VW17 disappears in VW18.

This is a huge deal for us.  Some of our sets are dozens of sheets with multiple lines of text for the Sheet Titles.  We are left with whatever was typed before the carriage return.  Our sheet layers are renamed as well, and the worksheet we use to create our drawing list only shows that first line of text as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts besides going through and renaimg the sheets?

I'ne attached screen shots of what I'm seeing.

Thanks everyone.

VW17 Sheet Border.png

VW18 Sheet Border.png

13 answers to this question

I know it doesn’t answer the question, but may at least help with the transition between versions, but the old title block tool tool still exists. It just needs to be added to the workspace again. When I last looked it was in the legacy section of the workspace manager.

A good stop-gap for your office for older files or ongoing projects?

Edited by markdd
31 minutes ago, markdd said:

I know it doesn’t answer the question, but may at least help with the transition between versions, but the old title block tool tool still exists. It just needs to be added to the workspace again. When I last looked it was in the legacy section of the workspace manager.

I wonder if it will still work. I left one or two projects as the old version and did the minor changes I needed via the Data tab in the OIP.

KM

2 hours ago, markdd said:

I think one of the main failures in the transition to the new 2018 title block is that Vectorworks disallows you from using the previous version. Especially during this first year when people have been discovering the new tool's numerous issues, it would've been nice to be able to fall back on the old version when necessary. A year of overlap would've been wise.

The old tool still works fine now.(unless there is something I’m missing) I used it on a couple of occasions when I was setting up the new tool and was in a hurry.

I think that Vectorworks could have been more helpful with the transition and explained that the old tool still existed. I have a feeling that would have helped mitigate the gnashing of users’ teeth!

On my machine when I open files converted from 2017, I can change data in the Data tab of the OIP, but the moment I double click the Sheet Border or try to make any other change, it won't do so without forcing a conversion to the new Title Block Border.

And looking in my workspace editor the old Sheet Border tool isn't even listed.

1174805652_ScreenShot2018-05-25at10_53_09AM.thumb.png.74c86b3ca1187d1f88284b10184500d1.png

(All tools)

Oh wow!

Wait, why did they rename it from "Sheet Border" to "Drawing Border"? 🤔

It appears that when you add a new "Drawing Border - Old" object it actually lets you use it. So if the old tool still exists, why is there no way to avoid the forced conversion of old titleblocks to the new style when double clicking them?

7 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

I think one of the main failures in the transition to the new 2018 title block is that Vectorworks disallows you from using the previous version. Especially during this first year when people have been discovering the new tool's numerous issues, it would've been nice to be able to fall back on the old version when necessary. A year of overlap would've been wise.

I think there are two issues. One is the forced transition. The other is the beta nature of the new version. Those two things together made the transition unfriendly for many users. If there had been a consultation process and an open beta of the new tool I think much of the trouble could have been avoided.

1 hour ago, Andy Broomell said:

It appears that when you add a new "Drawing Border - Old" object it actually lets you use it. So if the old tool still exists, why is there no way to avoid the forced conversion of old titleblocks to the new style when double clicking them?

I think it only sort of works. I suspect the code for Automatic Drawing Co-ordination has been re-written for the new Title Block Border tool. You can insert Drawing Border - Old object but drawing coordination only seems to work when you update information in the title block (changes are pushed to the Sheet Layers). If you update a Sheet Title or Sheet Number in the Navigation Palette, those changes don't get pushed back to the Drawing Border - Old objects.

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello everyone,

About multiline Sheet Title in TBB:

This should be fixed in Service Pack 4 of Vectorworks 2018. Starting from then, only the first line of the Sheet Title will be applied as Sheet Layer Description and the other lines will be additional information for the TBB only. When editing Sheet Layer Description, only the first line of the Sheet Title will be affected and edited, the rest of the lines will be editable through the TBB interface.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Thanks for all of your feedback everyone.  We developed a workflow to get this to work, which involves copying the Sheet Title info from the Data tab in the OIP, converting the TB, pasting the copied Sheet title, and then removing the carriage returns.  This is obviously a time intensive task.

It looks like, based on Nikolay's comment above, that this issue will be corrected in SP4.  When will SP4 be released?  I won't implement our fix if the release of SP4 is coming soon.

Thanks again.

On 5/31/2018 at 2:47 AM, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello everyone,

About multiline Sheet Title in TBB:

This should be fixed in Service Pack 4 of Vectorworks 2018. Starting from then, only the first line of the Sheet Title will be applied as Sheet Layer Description and the other lines will be additional information for the TBB only. When editing Sheet Layer Description, only the first line of the Sheet Title will be affected and edited, the rest of the lines will be editable through the TBB interface.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Nikolay:

We use the Sheet Title to populate a drawing list worksheet on our Cover Page.  Will this work sheet be affected?

Our worksheet criteria for the Sheet Title looks like this:

817340083_ScreenShot2018-06-07at5_34_19PM.thumb.png.75b7c35d045104ec0b87bb951edb6b83.png

Will the Sheet Title record contain the entire Sheet Title, or just the first line?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by mleak