3d view disappears

catherton

Question

my whole program is slow and not happy when in 3d mode - when i go to left iso mode my model disappears or is half visible... see the attached - i've tried 6 different files and all are behaving the same.. 

i upgraded to vw18 6 days ago but uninstalled it because it wasn't running smoothly and i was in the middle of an important project.. vw17 was running normal till about 24 hours ago...now my vw17 is behaving the same way - 

i have checked the unified view tab.. 

any ideas???

Screenshot 2018-05-24 17.55.19.png

16 answers to this question

The file you sent me works fine on my installation of VWX2018 SP3. It looks like its incomplete (there is only one design layer) so don't really know how else to trouble shoot for you. There are one or two objects on the Screen Plane which might be confusing things in your file as they are obscuring parts of the model. You should consider turning off "Display Screen Objects" from the Unified View Options and see if that helps things.

Otherwise you may have a graphics card problem, but it seems unlikely. I have no info about your computer so can't really help with that. A common fix for older computers and vwx is to alter the graphics settings in preferences to "Good Performance" or "Best compatibility".

I am sure many more users here will offer you some further insight. It would be helpful if you added a signature to your profile giving info such as current VWX version and details of the hardware you are using.

Sorry not to be more helpful.

Mark

Edited by markdd

If you have a "2D" referenced Viewport on a Design Layer with a clip,

it doesn't work better in a 3D View as the Clip Geometry has to be

"Screen Plane" and does not only clip what it should.

As far as you said I assume you have just standard (2D) Geometry

on a Design Layer.

If in that case such view problems appeared in the past, it was always either

weak GPU, wrong GPU driver or Geometry far from Origin.

Looking at the numbers of your Rulers + Origin Icon non yellow highlighted,

so no shifted User Origin, depending on your File Units,

being already too far from Origin "could" be the problem.

So it is worth to check if it still happens when you center your geometry

on internal Origin.

On the other hand it looks like recently there would pop up more and more

cases like yours where users deny any of the potential problems of :

weak GPU, wrong GPU driver or Geometry far from Origin.

So there might be indeed a new Bug in VW 2018 SP3 or any new incompatibility

with one of the many most recent OS updates that came because Spectre/Meltdown

and other security issues.

thanks Zoomer - i moved my model closer to the internal origin - only part of the model became visible when in open gl - then vectorworks stopped working and the program closed.. i can't believe that all my files with 3d geometry are behaving like this - 3 days ago all was working fine.. and i haven't downloaded any updates etc 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 5/24/2018 at 4:20 AM, catherton said:

my whole program is slow and not happy when in 3d mode - when i go to left iso mode my model disappears or is half visible... see the attached - i've tried 6 different files and all are behaving the same.. 

Reply back with the following from your machine, please:

There seems to be an issue with the graphics driver as you already noticed. At the end there are some Windows Error Reports (WER) of which some are showing that an update may have failed. Depending on your settings Windows 10 may be doing some quiet updates in the background without notification so you may want to check the Windows update history to see if anything got updated (or failed to update) in the past few days, e.g. the display drivers for the on-processor graphics adapter.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 5/26/2018 at 8:33 PM, catherton said:

thanks

Jim w - have attached the dxdiag info

DxDiag.txt

graphics device driver error code 43...looks suspect... but not sure what to do with that...

Yes something is definitely going on with your drivers and we can very likely fix this with a little work.

I see the make of the machine is Lenovo, but could you tell me the model name/number? Usually it will be listed on the device itself, often on the bottom. Something like "Lenovo Legion Y720" The Dxdiag usually states this, but only has a number.

Here are what I would recommend based off some searching on that hardware config that looks like it MIGHT be a B50-70 but if it is significantly different reply back with it instead of following these steps:

On this page:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-b-series-laptops/lenovo-b50-70-notebook/20384/downloads

Scroll down to "Display and Video Graphics" and choose to download the AMD driver. Download it, install it, then restart your machine completely. Launch Vectorworks and check the objects in various files to see if they look the same. If they still look incorrect, run the dxdiag steps AGAIN (dont resent the old run, run the utility again please) and send me the new results.

Thanks JimW   yes it is the B50-70... i have lousy internet and my dongle has 8gig and constantly drops out - the file you suggested to download is 320mb - when i find a connection to handle this i will follow your instructions - and will post again then -