3D Curved Text

I am kicking myself right now.  I know I have watched a video on this a number of times but I cannot seem to locate the video and I am forgetting what the best approach is to this and hoping someone can help.  I am trying to make 3D extruded text that follows a curve.  Think like a circular sign but the text letters are CNC'ed out and attached to the face of the sign.  However, if it makes any difference the area I am trying to have this show up on is the concave of a curve.  

Anyone have any tips on best way to do this.  I know I have done this in the past but don't do it often and know I am forgetting something.

Thanks,

Matt

no, have seen that one.  So the text is on a stage backdrop.  The backdrop is curved.  I am looking for it to follow the curve but face straight out.  I found the text along path.  I use that from time to time but trying to get that to work in a 3D space.  So when you do as shown in the video it is parallel to the ground plane.  I want the curve to be perpendicular to the ground plane.  Make sense?  The one I am thinking of is even older 

I have a hunch we are thinking of the same one.  I have a little bookmark folder on chrome of VW help videos.  Not in there.  I don't know which is more annoying forgetting the secret sauce or being unable to find something I know exists.

14 minutes ago, MattG said:

no, have seen that one.  So the text is on a stage backdrop.  The backdrop is curved.  I am looking for it to follow the curve but face straight out.  I found the text along path.  I use that from time to time but trying to get that to work in a 3D space.  So when you do as shown in the video it is parallel to the ground plane.  I want the curve to be perpendicular to the ground plane.  Make sense?  The one I am thinking of is even older 

If your text is vertical and following the curve of the backdrop, you can use the same technique as in the video. Set the "Rot About Path" in the OIP to 90 degrees. You may also need to go in to edit the path, select it and click switch direction in the OIP to get it to face correctly.

Kevin

2137796225_ScreenShot2018-05-23at9_27_17AM.thumb.png.d3c50335779968638d2c4437a26c581a.png

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, MattG said:

One issue I am having is the test is backward.  Reading like in your example of "EVRUC A NO TXET"  I have tried flipping the text before converting and a few other things.

1 hour ago, Kevin McAllister said:

You may also need to go in to edit the path, select it and click switch direction in the OIP to get it to face correctly.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, MattG said:

That works.  Thank you.  One issue I am having is the test is backward.  Reading like in your example of "EVRUC A NO TXET"  I have tried flipping the text before converting and a few other things.  Any ideas?

As Zoomer mentioned above, the solution is to switch the direction of the path. Here's a step by step -

- right click on the Text Along Path object and choose "Edit Path"

- select the path. You'll notice its been converted to a NURBS curve. To flip the direction of the text click on the Reverse Direction button in the OIP while the NURBS curve is selected.

- exit the path. The text should now be running in the opposite direction.

Kevin